computer - maybe you could do something like this!'

Possible, but about a million more times probable than hitting random keys
and coming up with Hamlet.

#2:
In '98 or so, I got a Best in Show for a regional exhibit in Ohio.  The
prizes were awarded, each went to the podium and graciously recieved their
checks.  When I got mine, the curator mentioned his pleasure with me, and
gave me the check (a few hundred, best to that date).  As I was about to
step down, he beamed and said, "And by the way, this piece was done with a
COMPUTER!", to which I replied (in front of the whole audience, but rather
demurely), " And what was First Prize done with?"
"Oils."
"Exactly."

After which, people came to me, curious about my process, but I had no heart
to tell them that it was a pastiche of details from Japanese pornography
magazines.  In addition, the usual question came, "So what program do you
use to do your work with." My usual reply was a list of about six programs
and plugin manufacturers, and then I asked, "So, do you think if I got one
of those Windsor & Newton Galeria Rounds and some Grumbacher paints, I could
do oils?"

I've had this problem for nearly 15 years now, and to completely show the
process like Dorothy Krause does in her Digital Ateliers industrializes the
impression of digital 2D artmaking.

I don't know a quick and dirty solution to make the masses understand except
to get the computer marketers to understand the problem, but that would
potentially cost them sales.

We've got a long haul ahead in regards to comprehension by the masses.
Consider photography.
Enough said.