Re: [-empyre-] doubt and Women, Art, and Technology

You ask why so few men in this discussion, I have been wondering too. I have
been lurking, trying to find a way in, trying to find a fit, but perhaps
that is wrong.

20 years ago I ran a workshop on love in a course I was doing - Grad Dip in
Social Communication, it ran itself so to speak, as the workshop ran on
through the afternoon the focus on love evolved by itself, it was a great
success. Later I tried to run a workshop on intimacy, it failed, because I
think it was organised in an intellectual way rather than allowing it to
evolve, we tried to analyse it rather than experience it. After the workshop
on love it became obvious how it had worked.

One of my daughters, Kirsty, 33 yrs old, [from my first marriage] has just
finished a masters degree in fine arts at Sydney College of the Arts.
http://www.usyd.edu.au/sca/cgi-bin/exhib.pl?program=2003-06-2004-03&id=2
Her grad work is a digital media examination of the relationship between
mothers and daughters. One of the most profound outcomes of this work is the
evidence and expression of intimacy between the mothers and daughters
involved. When you look at the faces and and body language in the large
digital images there is a story there, very moving, beautiful.

My daughter Lillian, 12, [second marriage] is there with her mother Clivia
in one of the studies. They face each other in the images. When I look at
their faces, hands and bodies there is apparent a regard, one for the other,
that is full of meaning, many different meanings.

Is there really a difference in the way that men and women make art? Or is
it that there are some things that women do better or differently than men
because of their experience as women. And vice versa for men. I know that
raising a boy is different form raising a girl, I have one son and three
daughters. There are some things that are the same but others that are quite
different.

My son and daughter from my second marriage, Carl 16 and Lillian 12, both
have a high regard for our cat Bibi, [Arabic for love I think]. Carl makes
fond little sounds when he strokes the cat but is also a bit more robust
when he plays with her, he's a naughty monkey. Lillian is different, she is
far more gentle. They are both nurturing, but in a slightly different way.
The cat is very tolerant.

I know that maybe this month's discussion is not about differences between
gender but about examining Women in Art, and Technology, and perhaps the
focus should be on a unique female embodiment of art so please excuse my
discussion if it doesn't seem to fit.

Barrie