[-empyre-] Academic Aggression

Greetings all,

I'm struggling with a section of my thesis, which is largely on
games/affect/social networks, and I've begun to find some fruit in
comparing the behaviour of academics online to the behaviour of
gameplayers in online environments.

(I.e. - the type of aggression and gendered authoritarian behaviour
that is being talking about recently.)

I'm interested in how academics interact specifically on lists like
f/c and empyre, and on each other's blogs, and at conferences.
My interest is in game studies - that has enough manifestations of aggressive
intellectual behaviour; the ludology vs. narratology question created
as many questions about academic responsibility as it posed about
interactivity. Recently, there has been some fascinating exchanges
here about aggression, and even a couple of examples. I'd like
to hear how people account for these phenomena and how important they
are to the conducting of their arguments. Is it discouraging or inspirational?

I'm aware that posts starting with "I'd like to hear your thoughts
about ____ " end up unanswered; I've included my own points of
fascination here. Even if you have a comment about a particular stoush
between thinkers, I'd like to hear about it, as research into
particular events will naturally become part of the process of the
section in my thesis;

- Fights and debates about the particular use of words; creation of
authority over meaning.
- Responding to an argument versus attempts to negate an argument.
- The role of gender in academic oneup(wo)manship
- Can collaborate projects create bridges?
- Recent debates about "academics vs. activists"
- Jostling for better job positions

Thanks,

Christian McCrea

PhD Candidate
School of Art History, Cinema, Classics and Archeology
Melbourne University
"Keep braiding one's wavelengths back into oneself. That way they gain
all the more external power and surround us with a huge affective and
protective zone. Don't talk about this. Never talk about our secret
methods. If we talk about them, they stop working."
â Jean Cocteau, from "The Cocteau Diaries", Volume One