[-empyre-] Re: if bricks could talk...
- To: email@example.com
- Subject: [-empyre-] Re: if bricks could talk...
- From: Ryan Griffis <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 20:27:01 -0600
- Delivered-to: email@example.com
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:content-type:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:from:subject:date:to:x-mailer; b=e51D8wNTyFEgk4mUVPbLqxMBRYZ7/UmhKqgqHrE72Zjf7N1zx+2W2YgI2mLL3dYDOiHxCTJw+cWwJ6oH+f2K3Xd/VO1igddCxLbHgd4RdPzL/TWrJrhFhH4Kt+mzk9JvmZrhY/UbEonnm91BGKn1ubWj1bEdLh+KbH6cBz/couI=
- In-reply-to: <20051121010008.BCD58F8F0CA@gamera.cofa.unsw.edu.au>
- References: <20051121010008.BCD58F8F0CA@gamera.cofa.unsw.edu.au>
- Reply-to: soft_skinned_space <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Hi Jon + everyone,
in what way(s) do you mean that Life Sharing:
is or involves "elitist aesthetics?"
specifically with that piece, it's the subject position embodied by 01
for "life_sharing," and their relationship to concerns of "privacy" and
"surveillance" that i discuss in the txt. in a more general sense, i
think most Art operates through elitist aesthetics, but i don't mean
that in the sense of "elitist" v. populist. i mean specialized and
professionalized. perhaps one of those words would have been a better
++ in terms of the "esoteric and hidden web site" you mean the
Contextin' Art mini-portal that hosts your:
so i don't understand how or why you are positioning your
Gift(Wrap)ing New Media txt or the Contextin' Art project as
good question, and maybe i was/am a bit hasty to make such judgments.
when mark cooley and i made those 2 issues of contextin', we both felt
that they were sooooo not being read by anyone, as response was nil.
so, some of my statements should be attributed to the personal
experience of trying to start a conversation and not getting one. i
know that we both were disappointed by the number of responses to the
calls we put out.
though i did get an interesting email from barbrook, who called me out
on my interpretation of one of his texts, after posting it to nettime.
what remains open for me is your positioning of Contextin' Art as
esoteric + this loops bak into my question of how Life Sharing is or
involves "elitist aesthetics". i am wondering + curious about how + why
you are positioning these network oriented works [+/or] New Media art
projects as "esoteric" [+/or] "elitist"...
it's certainly not the network-ness of these examples that i'm
responding to. and i don't necessarily mean to use "esoteric" or
"elitist" as forms of slander, but rather descriptives in a more
generous sense. i'm not against internal communications or specialized
knowledge per se, but i think to leave things there is not so
i don't know that these responses are really satisfactory... as the
elite/populist art discussion isn't one i've spent much time on.
This archive was generated by a fusion of
Pipermail 0.09 (Mailman edition) and