Re: [-empyre-] Barrett on Stories that Flow

Dear James,

thanks for your post. It opens a lot of possibilities, and I will
start with the first thread you mentioned:

Probably the move from analogic / electronic to digital — print to
digital, audio to digital, cinema to digital, video to digital, etc —
is the prelude to our proposed discussion, since the very idea of
digital languages points to a tension of old and new, which is always
suspicious of being "looking to the present by a raw-mirror", as
McLuhan once said. Using the concept of "liquid narratives', instead
of "digital narratives", is meant precisely to avoid a simple
understanding of this process of moving from one cultural form to
other.

Janet Murray describes this tension between old and new, in "Hamlet on
the Hollodeck":

"One of the lessons we can learn from the history of film is that
additive formulations like 'photo-play' or the contemporary catchall
'multimedia' are a sign that the medium is in an early stage of
development and is still depending on formats derived from earlier
technologies instead of exploiting its own expressive power".

Despite the fact that history is not as linear as the quote might
suggest, Murray stresses an important point, when she observes how the
previously described "derivative mind-set is apparent in the
conception of cyberspace as a place to view 'pages' of print or
'clips' of moving video and of CD-ROMs as offering 'extended books'".

Hayles notion of 'mutually interpenetrating' phenomenons, in the quote
you posted, is probably more precise in pointing to the overlapping of
known cultural forms and unkown cultural forms that we deal with, as
technology opens new possibilites up.

The database is a good example, as you also mentioned. It organizes
its components by spatial relations (on the paradigm axis), instead of
organizing them by temporal relations (on the syntax axis). From that,
maybe it would be possible to claim that the 'narrative structure' of
the database derives from spatial relations, even though we would have
to think of a logical space of connected coordinates, instead of a
physical space. So I would rephrase your question:

How do we move narrative onto space, given that the most intriguing
ways of telling stories nowadays are often dependant on database
technology or on spatialized environments?

And add to that:

don't you think that one of the aspects of contemporary narratives is
that they are space-bound and not time-bound any more?