[-empyre-] November 2007 on -empyre- : Memory Errors in theTechnosphere: Art, Accident, Archive

Norie Neumark norie5 at mac.com
Mon Nov 5 23:04:58 EST 2007

Hello GH,

>> in new media art, digital technologies and techniques have re-
>> troubled the ‘authenticity’ and ‘embodiedness’ of the human voice
>> -- already long since undermined by analogue recording and
>> broadcast technology.
>>

> The intriguing thing about digital art is "timelessness." For
> example a web site or a youTube video needs to be discovered for it
> to have meaning. Otherwise it is just another bit of information or
> maybe a bit of "content" on a portal.  Authenticity is even more of
> a problem. Wiki has tons of pages that are misleading in their
> information. The other part is the fear and obsession sites that do
> things like recruit terrorists or white racists thugs. What is
> happening in my opinion is that the human psyche has been opened up
> for display.
is this display different, do you think, in the digital realm?

>   Timelessness in art can also be applied to digital art. There are
> pieces that I've done 14 years ago when the web first became
> available which are now being looked at. Originally these works
> were vaguely noted but then forgotten. Now they have been
> rediscovered by a new generation and are viewed as being fresh and
> current. The key point is for the new generation the works seem to
> be made yesterday.  Timelessness in digital art has a different
> meaning that in conventional art.
> This is in contrast to "time based" media whose meaning often
> depends on the when and where of the work.
> http://post.thing.net/node/1508
> http://post.thing.net/node/1474
> http://post.thing.net/node/1434
> http://post.thing.net/node/1591
> http://post.thing.net/node/1666
> I've also been re-doing, updating and commenting on my works in a
> blog. I consider this another part to the work.

i have to go into rave mode here -- it's great to see your work...
it's so on our wavelength of playing around with performance and
documenting, as "another part of the work" -- I particularly like the
updating of updating of ... something that was faux in the first (or
second) place  -- and how apt in a post about timelessness to take us
to fake watches of Canal street.

it's interesting you say in one of the blog posts that galleries
didn't get it when you first made these works... do you think they
would now?

and while i'm here, what a coincidence..i tried to access your rants
awhile ago... are they available as sound files?? I'm really keen to
hear them and know more about them...
norie
www.out-of-sync.com