[-empyre-] forgetting, oblivion

maria miranda maria at out-of-sync.com
Tue Nov 6 20:23:38 EST 2007

right on topic -- a recent conference in Belgium --Media, Memory and
the Archive, with talks by Steve Dietz, Marleen Wynants + Richard
Rinehart, Oliver Grau, Charlie Gere, Wolfgang Ernst, Josephine Bosma
and Jean-Francois Blanchette...

http://argos.xio.be/blog/?cat=6

snippet from Jean-Francois Blanchette's talk 'Waging the
technological war on oblivion' where he's talking about forgetting,
oblivion and preservation and the moving borders between. He begins
with a story about George Bell, who, on joining Microsoft was invited
to do whatever he wanted to do -so he announces that he will become
the first person to be paperless. In order to do this he develops a
project he calls Life Bits where he first digitizes all of his paper
documents, then with the help of Microsoft he builds a small portable
device that is actually a tiny camera - that he wears everyday
everywhere. The camera takes a picture every 45 seconds or when it
senses a change in the scenery. This data is then uploaded to his
website or hard drive, to create a huge database of images -- with
the happy conclusion that the hard drive, or something like it, will
eventually replace faulty, fallible human memory. We need never
forget anything.

maria