[-empyre-] another forward from Maria

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Fri Nov 9 14:22:55 EST 2007

We apologize to Maria.  For some unknown reason, the server is
blocking her posts.  Here's what she's been trying to send since
yesterday! R&T

 From Maria Miranda:

Every generation -since the 90s-  seems to need to re-do or re-visit
the conceptual and performance artworks of the 60s and 70s. it's the
mother lode.
Recently Eva and Marco Mentes,
formerly, <http://0100101110101101.org/home/performances/performance-burden.html>0100101110101101.org
have been doing 'synthetic' performances on Second Life -- so far
they have re-enacted Joseph Beuy's 7000 Oaks, and Valie Export's Tapp
and Tastkino and vito Acconci's Seedbed. the latest is Chris Burden's
Shoot -- looking at the grainy photo of the original Shoot on their
website took me back to Philip Auslander's essay, "The Performativity
of Performance Documentation" where he asks "whether performance
recreations based on documentation actually recreate the underlying
performances or perform the documentation."

In our recent work, performative encounters in public places, we've
been fascinated with just this sort of thing. and playing around with
the role of the document to the artwork. In Searching for rue
Simon-Crubellier, the act of asking directions was documented on
video, but there was no 'performance' as such, just the documenting.
It's a small difference, but it's the difference that makes the
difference' as Bates said.

For the Mentes', the performances are not a homage --- "Eva and me,
we hate performance art, we never quite got the point."
but a re-enactment "to understand what made it so un-interesting to
us".. maybe you had to be there.  but it does raise the question of
which one will be remembered. Chris Burden or Eva and Marco's
synthetic performance?

maria