[-empyre-] Memory Errors

Madeleine Reich Casad mir9 at cornell.edu
Sun Nov 18 15:58:13 EST 2007

Hi Norie,

On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:36 PM, norie neumark wrote:

>> D. also describes the (present) moment of archivization as a
>> virtual moment, a moment of play between the opposing desires to
>> simply repeat the archive, on the one hand, and to obliterate it
>> completely, on the other.
> Do you think the concept of performativity is relevant here? (yes,
> i'm obsessed) Archivizaton as performative might be somewhere
> between these opposing desires -- actualising a potential archive
> that is not just a repeated archive but not having to obliterate
> the existng archive to do so?

Yes, absolutely!  But here too I think about power, the constraints
that make the performative 'readable' / meaningful / "felicitous" in
the first place, and what makes a particular performative act
desirable to us, why we gravitate to it, what kinds of vibrational
resonance (to continue the energy metaphor-or-is-it-) we seek out and
why...