[-empyre-] Re: memory/archive

Cara Walz bumblepuppy at kc.rr.com
Wed Nov 21 14:16:38 EST 2007

> and in view of the febrile archivist's distinction between
> story-telling
> and laying down in bay between the sheets. For there obtains here also
> the role of lodging certain things, shiny things, inside the labyrinth
> of the ear in order to assume the position of authority necessary to
> vouchsafe those seeking access to such things, a role that has been
> gendered, a speaking role. A pecking order for those with their beaks
> in
> your ear.
>
> What I would like to ask is at what point, either by the art of the
> archivist - or is that wit? - or by dint of lack of storytelling
> technique - or is that tactic? - can one say that what has been held
> over is dead, a sack of images, a rigid and desirable representation?
> dead so that we might want to mourn its passing. Well, do we mourn an
> archive?
>
> At what point let go? (For example, the archive that contains art which
> is not kept because no one but the academic has any use for it.)
>
> simon taylor
> www.squarewhiteworld.com

Hello all,

Since this posting was attached lockstep to my post, a few words, be
they tactical or not:

I feel quite the opposite, that what has been held over and lasts
derives, consciously or not, from the very beginning, reincarnated for
a new audience, although I admire the revolutionary spirit of this
post.

And please please I hold no position of authority, I'm just a working
studio artist with an MFA like one of the thousands. I simply enjoy
reading and responding to this digest as a break from the studio, and I
appreciate everyone's participation.

When it comes to "seeking access" to such things, this brings me to an
earlier, trailed off thought (by Tim, I think) about the esoteric,
which is probably inevitable due to the glut (in the representational
economy) mentioned earlier: Information consumers (that's what we are,
I guess) can't possibly wade through it all and so they veer into small
rivulets. I'd love to hear more thoughts from everyone on this if it
fits into the framework of our guest's interests, and I think it does.
I'm interested because I think there is also a primal urge toward
communion and artists have always tried to create objects (or pictures
or stories or archives) which aid in such an effort, but digital forms
seem quite the opposite generally. Second Life (which has been
mentioned as well) would be a good example of this, I think...

And please please when I say "I think" I'm saying I'm not sure, just
mulling things over in my brain.

Regards,

Cara