[-empyre-] story-time and the archive

timothy murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Sat Nov 24 00:55:49 EST 2007

>Hi, Norie and Monica,

>Your interwoven threads are extremely interesting and directly
>engage my own sense of archival practice.  I think that Monica is
>right on the mark when she says "the desire for an event/artwork to
>have duration is primarily concerned with unconstraining the artwork
>from its chronological assignment (to become untimely) so that it
>has the potential to continue to be to communicable within a
>continuum whose parameters of form and value are not predictable."
>But I'm not sure that I would strictly contrast that, anymore, with
>the "desire of preservation" ("to be timeless: unchangeable status
>quo/monumentalisation / stabilised form and value").  Particularly
>within the context of planned obselescence and and short shelf lives
>of recent new media art, I'm wondering whether the event/artwork
>itself doesn't/shouldn't alter our conceptions of desire so that
>preservation and event are more interwoven in an ongoing,
>unpredictable way.

If so, then your combined emphases on storytelling (what Deleuze
calls "fabulation") becomes all the more important as a crucial
structural element of the archival process itself (since is also
something that Mickey pointed us toward via Derrida's Archive Fever).
This could mean emphasizing the emulation of the events/artworks,
networks, processes, procedures, and interactions more, say, than the
reproduction or replication of particular source code, exhibition
environments, or recording/playing instruments.  Such an emphasis
would be on the open-endedness of fabulation, a process that grows
and changes in time, rather than "incontrovertible status of value"
that drives the work of most museum collections and archives.

Thanks for such stimulating thoughts.

Best,

Tim

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

office: 607-255-4086
e-mail: tcm1 at cornell.edu