[-empyre-] story-time and the archive

timothy murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 26 01:38:44 EST 2007

>Hi, Norie

It's funny that the perilous life span of digital materials has us
thinking again about ephemerality in such serious ways.  I say again
because I began teaching and writing about performance and video
installation in the those   purely analogue days of performance and
video installation (I'm now thinking particularly back to the initial
days of my teaching career before the introduction even of VCRs into
the classroom).  At that time, whether in the classroom or on page, I
assumed that the role of the writer or teacher was to recreate the
ephemeral visual or audio environment through various procedures of
fabulation.  The goal was never to recreate or present a replica of
the artwork but to transmit the conceptual tenor of an artwork that
once happened in a way that would renew the untimeliness (thinking of
Monica here) of the event or the intervention.  The goal of my
teaching at that time was not for students to commit to memory the
details of past events but to stage the tenor or idea of past ideas
as a catalyst for their conceptual artwork and writing (as you all
can tell, I am not an art historian...).

With the advent of digital archival formats on CD and DVD,  I think
we kind of lured ourselves into a state of false security, and one
that too easily overlooked the fundamental premises of "archival
fever," that the archive itself is something of a speaking/viewing
event which can approximate if not sometimes even realize ephemeral
events whose performance were either far more provocative than even
the creators could have foreseen or performances whose enactment
framed a conceptual intervention that could only be realized in the
future via further discursive interaction (in this context, we can
think of Derrida's citation of the death drive not as something
purely destructive but as something always activating).

So you've got me thinking that the disquiet we sometimes feel in the
presence of the digital archive in peril is as much a true concern
over the vicissitudes of materiality than it is something of a
retroactive (traumatic) compensation for a more significant concern,
that of the potential loss or slippage of a prior sensitivity to the
promise (rather than peril) of ephemerality itself and of the role of
discourse in carrying it into the future.

Thanks for posing such a helpful question, AND for staying with us this month!

Tim

--
Timothy Murray
Professor of Comparative Literature and English

office: 607-255-4086
e-mail: tcm1 at cornell.edu