[-empyre-] Nonsite as fashion trend : tesserae?

Christina McPhee christina at christinamcphee.net
Mon Jan 14 12:17:43 EST 2008

ok, so I apologize in advance for slippage into  our conversation
overtly (instead of backgrounding it like a good moderator).  I can't
resist playing with Smithson, who really is a lot of fun, although
Matta-Clark got around to some great high jinks too with "Fresh
Kills", starring his truck, Herman Maydag:  thanks very much to the
incomparable site ubu, you can see him in action right now: http://www.ubu.com/film/gmc_freshkill.html

But Smithson has some tricks up his sleeve, starting with his  deadpan
project, "Monuments of Passaic."http://www.robertsmithson.com/photoworks/monument-passaic_300.htm
   His writings are a a blast into hyperspace. With tremendous
interest I stumbled upon an article by Pamela Lee in Grey Room a few
years back, which reproduces pages from an illustrated speculative
text, called  "Quasi-infinities and the Waning of Space"  The
article''s in print and via JSTOR http://links.jstor.org/sici?sici=1526-3819(200124)2%3C46%3A%22OHGKS%3E2.0.CO%3B2-9
    :  Pamela M. Lee, "Ultramoderne: Or, How George Kubler Stole the
Time in Sixties Art," Grey Room 02, pp. 47-73, winter 2001.

I've quite enjoyed a productive misreading of  the  already-
fantastical speculative writing of Robert Smithson, in   "Quasi-
Infinities and the Waning of Space, " (1966), a text which anticipates
hypertext with side column notations, annotated photographs
('reproduced reproductions") and mathematical ratios ("indeterminate
information").  (see Eugenie Tsai and Cornelia Butler, et al,  Robert
Smithson, The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles, catalog, p. 216.)

.In an early draft of what was to become "Quasi-Infinities and the
Waning of Space" , Smithson writes: "Around a series of inaccessible
abstractions, I shall construct an inaccessible system that has no
inside or outside, but only the dimension of reproduced
reproductions... To formulate a general theory of this inconceivable
system would not solve its symmetrical perplexities... Arcane codes
and extravagant experiments conceal the absolute
abstraction."  (Smithson, 1966).

   Lee suggests we read "Quasi-Infinities and the Waning of Space" "
as a push/pull dynamic--both visually and textually--between  entropy
and control, progress and fatigue, signal and noise, pastness and
futurity."

I like this!  the idea of an 'absolute abstraction" (aka the super-
most-fantastically-mysterious non-site!) lurking behind 'extravagant
experiments' -- baroque Rabelaisian or Constant-like Babylons of
visual excess and play alternating with fatigue and futurity (fugues!).

The idea of no inside or outside, only 'reproduced reproductions'
hooks up in my (probably multi-subjective, bedazzled) imagination with
the idea of tesserae, a mathematical figure and also a feature of
Venutian geomorphology.  Since we 'know' Venus is the girl planet, she
has got  to be neither inside or nor outside to the observer, she's
always just appearing at evening in a shimmer of charm and
chill.......so begins  'Tesserae of Venus'-- a video/hypertext/
photomontage extravaganza

...........and since I am (not only ) a video-painter and painter-in-
video (invideous?) (sorta like the 'painter of light' Thomas
Kinkaid?)  which is (I guess?) from a formalist point of view 'bad',
but also a  (blonde) 'girl media artist' which stereotype could be
fashionable but also only "just" fashionable......... how perfect and
arcane (or arcadian) might it not be, to transpose the non-site of my
various digital city walking archives to Venus (and back again)?

  Physically, tesserae are created is by a shortening of planetary
crust. On Venus, when the crust is pushed together, the surface folds,
buckles, and breaks. The tesserae analogy is a poetic way of thinking
about how the sense of place is disturbed, contracted, and regenerated
within the context of new media art production. The logic of the
tessera figure creates a question of possibility, against its own
inexorable process. A surface of information, when it folds in on
itself, also releases, making new structures that push out of the
breaks.
'
I'll set fictive ‘naturalized’ digital still and moving image
fragments of displaced architectural gestures within a digital
pastiche of Romantic sublime cityscape...  Crunched/smoothed/
contracted/expanded, these will be remixed into extended tesserae,
also known as "complex ridged terrain". . In video installation, the
tessera will play through animated sequences that are created from
mining an already antique archive of  high resolution radar images of
surface topographies of Venus, recorded by the Magellan mission, Jet
Propulsion Lab, in the late nineties.  Somehow the arcane uselessness
of this old archive seems ideal to deploy as a Romantic (probably
entropic)  projection into our malaise about global warming and
catastrophic imaginings for our poor planet and (chiefly) ourselves.
In a spirit of the prophetic fantasy,  the project dwells in
architecture’s utopian aspirations through the agency of a magical
displaced geomorphology, as if to speculate on how the planet will
repurpose us, more or less without our consent, in a ‘fourth nature’
beyond energy resource management and design,  out of control.

Needless to say, Tesserae of Venus will first emerge from the waves
in a web 2.0 social networking setting........

-c