[-empyre-] Re: empyre Digest, Vol 38, Issue 13

John Haber jhaber at haberarts.com
Mon Jan 21 01:18:32 EST 2008

Am I crazy, or does the "autonomy" in "temporary autonomous zones" when
it describes something like the Gaza strip or anywhere with people
suffering displacement, violence, poverty, and lack of voice in
governance have to come with one heck of a lot of irony.

There are limits to the concept of cities as uniquely constructed
entities that should be mentioned.  It comes a little too close for
comfort to the American myths that align oppositions of nature/culture,
freedom/civilization, east coast and wilderness, and it also has a way
of leaving out suburbs and highway culture, themselves sustained in part
by government funding and in part by just those myths.  Returning to
Smithson, one can see the earthworks, again, not simply as seeking the
sublime outside the city but as dismantling the opposition.  I'd rather
explore cities as both specific and multiple cultural sites.

John