[-empyre-] creative interventions in the borderlands

lotu5 lotu5 at resist.ca
Mon Jun 2 07:32:46 EST 2008

Ah damn, its june 1st, so I guess this month's awesome topic is over. It
looks like you all had a lively discussion. I was hoping to have the
time during this month to join the discussion, but thesis writing took
all of my attention. Sorry for the very late intervention!

If I had had time, I would've written something about the projects I've
been working on, namely Sharing is Sexy [ http://sharingissexy.org ] ,
which is a queer open source porn laboratory, which I see as a creative
form of biopolitical resistance to control over bodies through the free
proliferation of images of new genders and sexualities and through
community building online and offline.

If I had more time, I would've also written about the Boredom Patrol of
the Clandestine Insurgent Rebel Clown Army [ http://circasd.org and
http://youtube.com/lotu5 ] , which I was a part of, and our use of
imagination and the figure of the clown as a way to disrupt and subvert
the plane of conflict created by the network of anti-immigrant forces
around the San Diego / Tijuana border, including paramilitaries like the
Minutemen, but also ICE, police, etc.

The basis for these projects has been, in my opinion, to find a way to
use desire and pleasure as a basis for political struggle, to find
methods of resistance which fulfill our desires instead of always
draining our energies.

One of the main forms of "intervention" that these projects use is
online public space, on YouTube or in porn, as a way of interjecting
some disturbance into the massive flows of media already occurring
there, trying to go to where people's attention already is focused.
Although the Boredom Patrol's intervention also occurs in physical
spaces where the Minutemen are.

Both of these projects have also been presented in various artistic
contexts, at universities, in galleries and in artistic publications and
events.

I have great respect for many of the groups and people who've posted
this month, and I hope to be able to revisit the discussion in the near
future.

If you have any questions, or ties to the discussion, I'm happy to respond!

thanks,

   lotu5

--

gpg:  0x5B77079C // encrypted email preferred
gaim/skype: djlotu5 // off the record messaging preferred