Res: [-empyre-] Frente 3 de Fevereiro forward

Felipe felipetg3118 at yahoo.com.br
Wed Jun 4 04:03:26 EST 2008

Irina,

In Brazil, since Lula became the president, the public debate over affirmative action (specially the discussion about quotas for black people in the universities) has really grown.
The government created a Special Secretary of Racial Equality Promotion Policies and has supported openly the affirmative action in the universities policies.
The Black Movement got to propose to Congress a Racial Equality Statute, that has the quotas along with a lot of other measures to promote racial equality.
But the theme of the affirmative action in Brazil is very controversial, because we have a racist society, but racism is very disguised, it is not open.
We have the myth of Racial Democracy, the idea that in Brazil there is no racism, because the mixture between the races would've made everyone equal.
So we have a great part of the elite (even radical leftist thinkers) against what they call the racialization of our society.
We had a manifest of the "non-racist intellectuals against the quotas system" and also many intellectuals and social organizations in favor of them.
There are proposals in Congress to implement the affirmative action system (which would includes black kids and poor kids) but they were not voted yet.
There are some big universities that have already adopted some kind of affirmative action policy..
What I said is that this is part of an interesting wave of public discussion (in the news, in the newspapers, etc.) about controversial topics, like this, like public security, criminalization and so on.
But we also have a conservative wave that goes against it.
So this is a crucial moment in Brazil.
I hope I have answered your questions.

          Regards,

                             Felipe