[-empyre-] art games pre computers

Christian McCrea saccharinmetric at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 01:59:01 EST 2008

Great questions; they point to a massive blindspot in some respects
about early digital art practices - can anybody shed some light on the
history? Artists have been attracted to play itself for a long time,
but complex, mechanically or digitally reproduced artefacts are a
different issue.

A quick link on this very topic:

http://r-s-g.org/kriegspiel/about.php

A project to make a computer version of Debord's Kriegspiel.

quote:
---
" With the assistance of his benefactor Gérard Lebovici, Debord
produced the game in a limited edition during the summer of 1977. "I
insist on the opportunity to throw the Kriegspiel into the stunned
world as soon as we can," wrote Debord to Lebovici early in 1978. "The
cinema seems to me to be over. [...] I believe that these times don't
deserve a filmmaker like me." The edition included an 18 by 14 1/4
inch game board and player tokens fabricated in silver-plated copper
by the "intrepid" Mr. Raoult, a Parisian artisan whom Debord admired
and trusted implicitly. By the end of June, 1978, after delays due to
poor health, Debord finished drafting a written copy of the game
rules. "I am sending you the rules soon," he wrote to Lebovici. "The
juridico-geometric writing style has cost me innumerable headaches. "
----

-Christian McCrea