[-empyre-] art games pre computers

Margarete Jahrmann margarete.jahrmann at zhdk.ch
Wed Mar 19 03:43:28 EST 2008

"each chess player is an artist, whereas not each artist is a chess player.
.. for most of them it would be better to play (chess) anyway."
M. Duchamp

yes, pre computerized art games in Dada, fluxus, siuationisme,
psychogeography..
Rose Sélavy and the role of alter egos - in Zurich Dada.
I suggested recently also to consider Rokoko and Baroque as a source-
especially taking into account the role of the masquerade.
E. Strouhal did write on it, he has a submission on CHESS in arts
history also in the Ludic society magazine issue2.
http://www.ludic-society.net/issue/LS_issue2_feb06_min.pdf

..that's an amusing description of a chess play between the grandmaster
Francois le Lionnais, also OULIPO member and Duchamp.

In arts namely the Chess systems of Duchamp did get well known. also his
performances at the Passadena arts museum in the 60ties together with
Eva Babitz.
Then the coalition Chess of the 12tone-music pioneer Arnold Schoenberg.
it very interestingly changes the rules of play -- even of Chess --
towards a coalition game.
Alice Becker Hoe, a long term partner of Guy Debord developed a
situationist piece chess together with Debord.
Yoko Ono did work on a completely white chess - dissolving the black vs.
white vs black order..

white to play and win
grete ludologica