[-empyre-] China Tracy @ SL

Christina McPhee christina at christinamcphee.net
Sat Mar 29 15:07:29 EST 2008

It is so much easier to make a perfect surface  than it is to risk
imaging the consequences of  real bodies in real spaces

  Naeem's example of the psychotic suicidal date : her image, the
encounter with her, forces me to think about my brushes with insanity
and my longing to forget about that war.  Iraq: space media wont
image. Accces: through a blind date.  in the rough patch, the trashy
hallway, the alley,  the weeds-- an architectural body IS  affective
'melange' ,   Instead a corporate (pardon the bad pun) artist to sell
tricks out  a pretty weltschmerz, you can ooze along. Suspension in
the perfect solution,  no messy, no clunky, no hypnotic.  just
perfectly attentive. awake, perfect attention. we are attending. we
are in attendance, mmmmmm. do people sleep and dream in second life.
I thought that the synoptic point of "China's" film is that she meets
a sexy avatar and falls in love, and later she finds out the
'truth'--  he turns out to be  in 'first life' an old radical activist
guy from San Francisco. Why is the perfection of the surface so
important?  does she love him after she finds out he's an old guy ?
will they meet for real on Oprah?

On Mar 28, 2008, at 7:57 PM, Naeem Mohaiemen wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 10:50 PM, h w <misterwarwick at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> If you make a film from SL  and put it on you-tube? (like 'China
>> Tracey" did
>>  http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=5vcR7OkzHkI&mode=related&search=&v3
>
> Just saw China Tracy's SL project today at Lombard Freid Projects
> gallery in Chelsea. China Tracey presents "RMB City".  The animated
> film, the wall size prints, the white plastic replica, the obligatory
> SL gaming books. It all had a super sleek surface, and inside was
> utterly empty. And cold. Freezing cold.
>
> As antidote, went uptown to the Whitney Biennial and watched Omer
> Fast's video that melanges a night out with a psychotic,
> self-mutilating, German girl date with an accidental shooting death in
> Iraq. Messy, clunky and mesmerizing.
>
> Give me reality based work over SL's crap any day of the millennia.

Christina McPhee
http://christinamcphee.net
http://strikeslip.tv
http://naxsmash.net