[-empyre-] Re: // Second Life: Who's art is it anyway? //

Margarete Jahrmann margarete.jahrmann at zhdk.ch
Sat Mar 29 22:03:43 EST 2008

Dear Mister Warwick, Julian, Ilias!

(a note and congrats to the great SL book on which you collaborated,
melinda, chris!)

The Ludic Society magazine appears in this edition as usual in print and
in 2nd Life – to provoke a World 3 phenomenon! The periodical’s online
presentation is a parallel Hello World event.

In order to vivisect 2nd Life critically, it must be considered not as
game – but as a hypothetical game system. Its focus is a playful 3rd
life, according to Jorge Luis Borges´s "Orbis Tertius" and Sir Karl
Popper´s "World 3". Games played in SL serve as examples for deviant
gaming behaviour on the borderline.

2nd life appears as a benevolant dictatorship and an unavoidable
love&hate object of desire to the ludic artist in flux. Back-to-back a
World3 investigation platform was constituted in 2007 – as an in-depth
research project hosted by the Interaction Design/ Game Design
department of the HGK Zurich, and by the players in 1st life, members of
the Ludic Society, also affiliated with the games research group of the
local academic Game Design strand.

What I find challenging when regarding SL, is:
the search for the missing link between first and 2nd life
in the form of real toy objects (namely the SL aura indicator under
development in World 3)?

This most hated environment is an opportunity to PLAY inside the belly
of the beast, namely as shown on Odyssey Arts. MosMax Hax served as
supermodel for such a test (and as mutual inspiration for Superfem Beebe
and Chris Marker), using  reshaping, collecting Freebies as material for
arts, being aware about the fact that you depend on a proprietary system
… and on the benevolence, of host whom we don’t really know (as
Lindenlabs)!

To contrast an omnipresent euphoria, we quote an early SL observation:
“Second Life is a benevolant dictatorship. If you were doing corporate
business development in emerging markets, political stability would be a
key factor in measuring the attractiveness of a potential new market. I
think, if given the the choice, you’d rather invest in a place with a
representative government that has proven to support smooth transition
of power in the past. To me, the fact that a very small group of people
basically dictates what goes and what does not in this market, a group
of people that is not beholden to the residents by law, is a political
risk.”(Adamo Lanza, 2004)

greets
Superfem Beebe nuzzles with a murrpurr...