[-empyre-] an 'ethico-aesthetic paradigm'

Christina McPhee christina at christinamcphee.net
Fri May 2 10:53:21 EST 2008

dear -empyre-

While awaiting Jennifer, I 've come upon a text by Felix Guattari
which I really enjoy and that seems an ideal provocation surrounding
this months' artists positions and production.

This quote comes from an excerpt from  "Chaosmosis: An Ethico-
Aesthetic Paradigm" (1992), reprinted in Participation, the
compilation edited by Claire Bishop-- l (London : Whitechapel and
Cambride: MIT Press, 2006). The translation from the French is by Paul
Bains and Julian Pefanis, and was  originally published in a book by
the same title, Indianapolis: Indiana University Press, 1995.

"The growth in artistic consumption we have witnessed in recent years
should be placed, nevertheless, in relation to the increasing
uniformity of the life of individuals in the urban context.  It should
be emphasized that the quasi-vitaminic function of this artistic
consumption is not univocalo.  It can move in a direction parallel to
uniformization, or play the role of an operator in the bifuraction of
subjectivity.... this is the dilemma every artist has to confront:
'to go with the flow,' as advocated, for example, by the
Transavantgarde and the apostles of postmodernism, or to work for the
renewal of aesthetic practices relayed by other inovative sements of
the Socius, at the rist of encountering incomprehension and of being
iolated by the majority of people.

"Of course, it's not at all clear how one can claim to hold creative
singularity and potential social mutations together... it nonetheless
remains the case that the imense crisis sweeping the planet-- chronic
unemployment, ecological devastation, dereugulation of modes of
valorization uniquely based on profit or State assistance -- open
the fild up to a different deployment of aesthetic  components....
today our societies have their backs up against the wall; to survive
they will lhave to develop research, innoviation and creation still
further -- the very dimensions which imply an awareness of the
strictly aesthetic techniques of rupture and suture.   Something is
detached and starts to work for itself,  just as it can work for you
if you can 'agglomerate' yourself to such a process.  Such a
questioning concerns every institutional domain; for example, the
school.  How do you make a class operate like a work of art?  What are
the possible paths to its singularization, the source of a 'purchase
on existence' for the children who  compose it? And on the register of
what I once called 'molecular revolutions,' the Third World conceals
treasures which deserve to be explored....

"Perhaps artists today constitute the final lines along which
primordial existential questions are foldeed.  How are the new fields
of the possible going to be fitted out?  How are sounds and forms
going to be arranged so that the subjectivity adjacent to them remains
in movement, and really alive?

-cm