[-empyre-] an 'ethico-aesthetic paradigm' - in France and Argentina

brian whitener iwaslike at hotmail.com
Thu May 15 09:49:31 EST 2008

hi tim, brian, et al,

tim: i hear what you are saying. i think it's important not to lose sight of those histories. i'm sure brian would agree. and i wish i knew more about them. and obviously it would be great

the caveat: i'm going to speak from a really ignorant place in the next sentence. personally, i'm super divided right now on the issue of listservs, the interwebs, etc. honestly, i feel like we're in a different historical moment. and that the potencia of those forms has been eclipsed a bit. ( ..like that opening/event has been subsummed...)

i think that's also why i feel like CAE (to set up the argument via an example), while i respect, support, and love their work, is not enough for this moment. maybe that's the difference brian was trying to bring out.

i feel the catastrophe... and i feel like it's calling for a direct address. i know it's calling for a move beyond whatever happened in the 90s. do i doubt that "art" can provide an adequate address? i do. but that also make me feel light, like knowing that when you encoutner resistence you are doing something right.