[-empyre-] echo objects and Barbara Marie Stafford

Christina McPhee christina at christinamcphee.net
Wed Oct 1 10:28:00 EST 2008

dear Barbara and all,

I really like this warning- or inspiration of Barbara's...
On Sep 23, 2008, at 4:39 PM, Barbara Stafford wrote:

> . i still think that's the hardest task facing us: namely, to
> identify a common issue/s  that is equally rivetting to all sides of
> the disciplinary divide. i took on questions ranging from mimesis to
> conscious attention--and, of course, still did not get to the bottom
> of them. but from my experience with scientists as well as
> humanists, we'll never get anywhere unless we define  a question
> that is thought to be equally gripping no matter who you are.

Traumatic memory after violent experience makes for a nest of
questions. I've been obsessed with trying to show or make a
visualzation / emulation of post traumatic stress induced nightmare,
hypnogogia-- the waking dreamscape.  I wonder if you (Barbara),
Lucette, Paul or Tina can point me to other crossover studies (between
neurology and contemporary art) that might develop some alternative
rhetorics or, to borrow from Barbara, generative 'visual analogies',
around visualizations of what I might call a trigger moment-- when an
event/dream/chance experience triggers amygdala activation and the
release of primitive visual content from amygdala to the visualizing
imagination.   Paul's work on the "Shape of Thought"  seems to touch
on this but does not isolate specifically to post traumatic stress
disorder in its etiology (ie what participants are asked to
remember).  Also,  in PTSD, the sufferer doesn't
recall by request , except (perhaps? ) in hynosis: t's actually the
most difficult thing to access  in 'waking life" as well as in sleep
because we can predict the probability of hypnogogic or hallucinatory
visualzation,  and possibly even chart the aftereffects on it in
neural chemistry, but to actually capture the moment of traumatic
visualziation as it might arise, as it were, naturally, is something I
imagine could difficult for the scientific method.

Looking forward to any tips, refs  thoughts on this direction.

thanks for the great conversation this month, too,

cm

Christina McPhee
http://christinamcphee.net
http://strikeslip.tv