[-empyre-] neuroaesthetics and modeling

sdv at krokodile.co.uk sdv at krokodile.co.uk
Tue Sep 30 19:21:12 EST 2008

Lucette/all,

Given that we are currently living through a major paradigm shift which
has already ended the dominance of the group of discourses we usually
name as "neo-liberal ". I think that it might be time to readdress the
assumptions in the below paragraph - most obviously the the idea that
neo-liberalism is "non-interventionist" for it wasn't, and was never
intended to be "non-interventionist". Rather neo-liberalism, whether in
the European form or the anarcho-liberal American form was always about
a general formalization of the powers of the state and the organization
of society on the basis of the market economy and the extension of the
market economy into all aspects of human society and even into the human
subject. Which is a rather different thing than what is implied below.
If this current crisis does finally announce the end of neo-liberalism,
which seems obvious, then the question of whether the network society,
the distributed model can survive will become extremely interesting over
the next few years. Can they survive in a more state-interventionist
period ? A period when the the general critique of the state which
identifies its destructive and harmful effects stops....

So then - what else disappears with the end of the dominant discourses
of neo-liberalism ? Certainly the market based understandings of human
society (for example Becker and Bourdiou), but also those
psuedo-scientific discourses that reflect this...

I only raise this to point out how the below does not reflect the
present but a yesterday that has passed.

regards

steve