[-empyre-] Eve's House: In and Out of Paradise

Christina McPhee christina at christinamcphee.net
Fri Dec 11 17:48:23 EST 2009

dear list, in light of the theme of hactivating design, I want to try
to open up discussion by example texts rather than by direct
exposition or argument on my own part. I feel that a core problem in
design education is to somehow help us to
get at what Louis Kahn called "Volume Zero" and perhaps also what
Barthes calls "Le degree zero de l'ecriture."  What does this mean?
Something about getting minds to open up to thinking generatively
beyond symbols-- and learing to become
selves / brains/ active bodies who do not cybernetically conform at
all times to systems; who fall into and out of the glitch.  For this
we have a wonderful archetype in the person of Eve, who 'fails' to
behave properly in Eden, and asks all the wrong questions.
Upon this basis, my partner Terry Hargrave grew the conceptual frame
for an undergraduate (third year) conceptual design studio in
architecture this year (2009).  His writing is so provocative that I
am reprinting (without his permission I must confess- he is the shyer
and wiser one). I had some involvement with the studio- both in the
conceiving of this project and in some crits-- but the core ideas and
practice are Terry's.  Notice how the narrative moves directly from
the myth into the 'potential for space as narrative'...and possible
tactics for Eve's House.

I offer this to all of you in the =empyrean= as a kind of magical, but
serious, treat.

-Christina

Eve's House: In and Out of Paradise

by Terry Hargrave (2009)  : a design course introduction

searching for the first [authentic] architecture: space and its
representation

IntroductIon:

theorists and architects have long speculated on Adam’s House,
especially as they sought to invoke a
‘received wisdom’ as to what architecture is and should be [rykwert].
But Eve’s House remains a mystery,
until now. But as you will see, it is a rich forum for contemporary
critical explorations. the relationships
between the serpent, Eve and Adam provides western cultural critics a
basis for
explaining/theorizing questions on morality, gender relationships,
even human nature. In Eve Pagels’
Adam, Eve, and the Serpent she notes that Jews and christians tend to
read the Genesis story as a
‘practical guide to moral living’ drawing lessons of moral behavior
from their story of disobedience.
the story is inevitably interpreted allegorically, storing/mediating
its messages by means of symbolic
figures, actions or symbolic representations. Eve’s place [rolls,
actions, struggles, realizations, existential
reality] in the allegories provide the rich stepping off for design
discourse in this project...temptation,
knowledge of good and evil, realizations of sexuality, complicity with
the other, condemnations,
expulsion with a promised difficult existence. It is this later
portion of the story that we seek to understand
and interpret as architecture, Eve’s story as a house, Eve’s House at
the threshold of paradise.
the place of Eve after the encounter with the serpent continuing into
and after the expulsion from Eden.
chapter 3 text provides the rich subtext for Pagel’s scholarly thesis
as well as for our work. We point
you to her third chapter ‘Gnostic Improvisations on Genesis’ for rich
array of historical interpretations
of this text.

critical spatial practice [too]:

Implying that Eve’s House Project intends to study the potential for
space to represent both a simple direct
narrative [literal] and a content rich interpretation of that
narrative [abstract/psychological/political]
we want to introduce a third societal function for your work to
accomplish: to provide for the
production of knowledge [criticality] via that space. this last
function, included in what is known as critical
spatial practice, intends to emancipate humans from the circumstance
that enslave them, and/or
nature from the deleterious effects of mankind. Architectural spatial
practices extends the traditional philosophy
and social sciences realm of critical theory into the natural world
essential for human survival.
critical theory has a rich and complex paradigm that can not be seen
as simple critical thinking, or
working within a context of critique, rather:

critical theory :
“critical theory has a narrow and a broad meaning in philosophy and in
the history of the social sciences.
“critical theory” in the narrow sense designates several generations
of German philosophers
and social theorists in the Western European Marxist tradition known
as the Frankfurt School. According
to these theorists, a “critical” theory may be distinguished from a
“traditional” theory according
to a specific practical purpose: a theory is critical to the extent
that it seeks human emancipation, “to
liberate human beings from the circumstances that enslave
them” (Horkheimer 1982)..” [from the Stanford
Encyclopedia of Philosophy]

fruit of the tree of knowledge
producing knowledge
resisting/ tempting
clothing/ masking/ hiding

“What critical practices share is a fundamental aspiration: to present
questions and challenges about the way the world
is, the ways we perceive it, and the ways in which we can act in it.
This aspiration can be described as inherently critical,
because the inescapable implication is that a world with different
social arrangements, behaviors, or both is possible.
Thus, critical practices are always in a basic sense, politicized….”
from Kate Dumbolton, Critical Art Practice, Policy
and Cultural Democracy: Opportunity in Contradiction.

It follows from Horkheimer's definition that a critical theory is
adequate only if it meets three criteria, ie,
it must be all at the same time:

1 explanatory,
2 practical,
3 normative.

that is, it must explain what is wrong with current social reality,
identify the actors to change it, and provide
both clear norms for criticism and achievable practical goals for
social transformation. Any truly critical
theory of society, as Horkheimer further defined it in his writings as
director of the Frankfurt School's
Institute for Social research, “has as its object human beings as
producers of their own historical form of
life”.

Tactics for Possible Criticality

tactics to achieve the three criteria are situational and must be
designed. For example: in the case of Eve,
Pagels production of knowledge meets the first two [if the work
presents questions and challenges about
the way the world is and our perception of it, then it acts as a
tactical means for achieving the first two
criteria]. the third criteria is one of action, What is to be done
about it, and when to do it. In pointing to
how we perceive Eden, Pagels refers to Eden not as paradise but as the
place of paradisial virginity. Furthermore
she presents infinite questions about the interpretations of the Adam
and Eve, as garnered from
historical documentation as well as her own postulations. But,
avoiding the third criteria of critical theory,
she never tells the reader what to do about it. But that is your job
through the design of Eve’s House.
Although tactics would seem to be endless, very little serious
attempts have been made to research or reveal
them.critical art practices are well established and culturally
supported. their histories are lively,
much more so than those of the architectural variety such as employed
in the viet nam veterans Memorial
in Washington dc, Jewish Museum in Berlin, and several works by Samuel
Mockbee and the rural
Studio. A beginning list of tactics would have to include:

1 defamiliarization... setting up a familiar experience only to have
it shift over time.
2 swerve... [Heraclitus] harmony of ‘being’ in flow yielding to the
swerve of ‘be
coming’ through chance/free-will/etc.
3 exhaustion... [tafuri] of existing themes and styles
4 transgression of boundaries... [tafuri, cruz]
5 and so forth

to do:
1. read Pagel, raun, Genesis 3
2. Identify a key Issue or metaphor about Eve. We don’t want you to go
into an existential crisis over critical
theory vs critical or traditional theory, but we do want you to give
some thought to how Eve’s House
relates to the broad issues of societal views on morality, gender
relationships, even human nature. obviously
this is not a simple puzzle waiting for you get it right, rather it is
an open inquiry awaiting both your
analysis and positions recorded and projected. At some point you will
want to identify a key issue concerning
Eve and develop it through the House project. For example:

eve : consciousness vs knowledge
eve : bifurcational vs continuum
eve : seeking the unknowable limit vs obedience
eve : private womb vs knowable to the other
eve : free will vs being/non-being

3. Written text. In a 300 word paper, present an analysis of Eve as
you see ‘her’ under the title of the
issue as noted above. the paper is part of the project and needs to be
incorporated into its visual offerings.
4. the House. through making a well crafted model, study the potential
for space to represent both a simple
direct narrative [literal] and a content rich interpretation of that
narrative [abstract/psychological/political]
as well as to include societal function for your work to accomplish:
to provide for the production
of knowledge [criticality] via that space. the Issue should guide you.
this is an architectural project too,
so it is expected that the House is not merely a catalog of the
written text[s] but serves per the desires of
architecture too. In the end you are responsible for the project; the
text is your impulse but the spaces,
bounding mass/materiality and their ordered/disordered structuring is
your alone. Scale, 3/8” + 1’

Keisler drawings towards the Endless House
Sanford Kwinter, ”critique is always a critique
(and therefore an elaboration) of
what already exists, implicitly reconstituting
this preexistence as a static thing.”