[-empyre-] scalable relations --> hung up on scalability

A. LaFarge alafarge at uci.edu
Wed Feb 18 03:04:29 EST 2009

>  > Scalability as a spatial/temporal
>  > transformation is readily available with digital activities, as
>>  facile as other gestures such as translation and rotation and as
>>  simple as a cinematic cut."

Hello all-- sorry to be jumping in so late-- it appears that although
my brain scales reasonably well (!) to information overload, the
24-hour day does not scale at all...

I keep getting hung up on two aspects of this discussion. One, the
sense that the term 'scalable relations' is being used presumptively
as to both its definition and its applicability. Sheldon's breakdown
was very helpful, but each time the term is used, it seems to carry a
slightly different sense. Mainly it seems to refer to the handling of
ever larger data sets gracefully. But I wonder, do all the software
infrastructures we are using in this exhibition really exhibit this
property? Or only certain ones? Or only the ones being used in
certain (normative) ways? I am somewhat puzzled to make this concept
fit my own project, for one.

Secondly: I see a tendency to focus on the technology rather than its
use-- on the system and dataset rather than the information, as if
systems-with-datasets were neutral objects from which information
spontaneously arises.  Scalability as a "spatial/temporal
transformation." "Gestures such as translation and rotation." "The
mutability of the processes of data collection, algorithmicization
and dynamics simulation." Acknowledgment is made that these do affect
"the production of meaning" and create "fundamental changes in
representation", but absent any specifics, one is left rather with
the sense that the techne itself is in the driver's seat. I part
company with McLuhan here-- if the medium is the message, it is only
part of the message. How do we address the fact that it is not only
how we design scalable systems but what we do with them that creates
good and bad datasets, and therefore good and bad information?

//Antoinette