[-empyre-] the future of digital poetry

Alan Sondheim sondheim at panix.com
Tue Mar 3 14:04:25 EST 2009

I'm for total inclusivity; I don't think that interactivity or being
online is necessary - mez for example might write out with pencil and
paper, a piece in mezangell - for me that's as e-poetry as anything else.
My own work in Second Life at Odyssey (a nine-month installation) has
involved objects with texts that flee avatars and bounce them around -
this is the other end of the spectrum; the work can be really viewed
without the use of 3d software. So the range is enormous. I'd want to have
e-poetry somehow and somewhat entwined with the technological, but the
technological might include the body/flesh itself, even the non-prosthetic
body. So for me it's an open field - I might say e-poetry is literature
that involves entwining, and that entwining involves an ontological, not
necessarily epistemological shift, a shift among regimes that might even
be taken for granted as entwined, such as body and tattoo (for what is a
tattoo but an e-inscription, wryting/wrything on flesh?) or motion capture
regimes producing bvh (bio-vision hierarchy) files as texts...

Why so ranging? Because anything else, and I've seen this over and over
again, tends towards the collusion of poetics/e-poetry with power -
academic power, grant power, conference-speaker power, and so forth. And
for me this power is always already restrictive, and mostly, but not
entirely, connected with an academy that can filter people, not only by
subject matter, but also by conference fees, lack of stipends, and so
forth. In other words, what's at stake with the restriction is the canon,
and I think the canon must be resisted at all costs, particularly since
the Net, which backgrounds a lot of this discussion, is so very very open
that we are heavily restricted about what might be considered world-wide
e-poetics, what's done among communities that we have no knowledge of,
work we might not even recognize as work.

So I'd argue strongly - strongly, for it has consequence - for an open
definition, one inclusive, inviting, anarchic - rather than an attempt to
construct definitions, manifestos, and so forth which for me are proble-
matic. I understand some think a computer's necessary for e-poetry - I
think this a deeply untenable and dangerous position. Any status-quo
should be broken open - I'd say within reason, but then I'd be contra-
dicting myself.

As for the future of e-poetry - there were so many discussions about the
future of painting - in fact groups of discussions as 'new painting' etc.
gave way to something else etc. - the fact remains that people will paint
and people will buy paintings and maybe not buy them, and let's look at
painting and see what's going on. And I'd say the same for e-poetry - the
whole idea of the 'future' is an aporia, unsolvalbe, unaskable, because
people will do what people will do worldwide, and that's exciting, and in
fact for me the more exciting the more I'm faced with something new, some-
thing I don't recognize, something that fills me with wonder... And that
will always be there, even when e-poetry might be flashlights and fire in
a ruined world, that tiny bit of wonder -

Alan