[-empyre-] The <body> of Net Art; The Capilano Review

Jim Andrews jim at vispo.com
Wed Mar 25 16:02:08 EST 2009

Here's an essay I wrote called "The <body> of Net Art":
http://tributaries.thecapilanoreview.ca/2008/04/15/the-body-of-net-art

This essay takes an 'architectural' look at net art. 'Architectural' in the
'computer science' sense.

The essay was published in the print version of The Capilano Review, a
relatively long-lived literary magazine from Vancouver. The Capilano Review
is like many other Canadian periodicals in that it's operated from a school.
Capilano College, in this case. Usually it publishes poetry, fiction,
essays, reviews, and so on, in a Canadian literary vein. This issue (
http://thecapilanoreview.ca/archive.php?id=series2/2_50 ) was something of a
departure. It was edited by Andrew Klobucar and featured writings by
(mostly) new media artists.

And Kate Armstrong and J.R. Carpenter then did
http://tributaries.thecapilanoreview.ca , which attempts to be a reading of
the magazine as a work of art.

In any case, here is a literary magazine attempting to do something
significant on the net. Working with people in new media. Actually, I think
this was the first time any of the 'established' literary mags in
Vancouver/Victoria have done anything at all concerning digital writing.

ja
http://vispo.com