[-empyre-] Welcome Stamatia Portanova, Ashley Ferro-Murray, and Erin Manning to Critical Motion Practice

stamatia portanova stamatiaportanova at yahoo.it
Tue May 5 07:37:49 EST 2009

Hello everyone

first of all, I would like to thank Renate Ferro and Tim Murray for inviting me to join this discussion. Its subject, “Critical Motion Practice”, is certainly a crucial topic in my work, and one that is also very significant in contemporary culture and art.

I am a post-doctoral fellow at Concordia University, and my research focuses on the relation between movement, dance and their digitalization; in this context, my work is at the intersection between philosophical theory and the analysis of techno-choreographic practice. By ‘techno-choreography’, I specifically refer to three particular ways in which choreographers, dancers and audiences encounter digital technology on the contemporary stage: video and video editing software, Motion Capture, choreographic software (Dance Forms). I think these encounters have a wide significance, not only for the way in which they re-shape choreographic and performative traditions and habits, but mainly because of the way in which they re-formulate some very general, basic paradigms about human movement and perception. In this sense, as a critical theorist I position myself in between the media and performance fields, considering philosophy as the conceptual operator
 to highlight the reciprocal relation between human movement and digital technology.

My current project is the writing of a monograph on the relation between philosophy, choreography and digital technology. From this particular subject of research, the suggestion I would like to make, here, is to think of the human body as feeling and thinking ‘with’ technology (rather than being simply limited or prosthetically empowered by it) while moving and dancing. To think with technology means to rhythmically work in unison with its own way of thinking, i.e. ‘code’. Practical examples of sensed-thought code are already concretely evident in the human body: from biological and anatomical codes imposed by our organic structures, to physical techniques acquired through habit and professional movement practice, from the socio-cultural shaping of choreography as a form of art, to digital code. In a certain sense, the philosopher Alfred N. Whitehead encourages us to reflect on this theme in an original way, when he insists on the creative
 parallelism between the intensive dimension of affects and the codifying function of reason, as two coexisting aspects of the same feeling. I would therefore like to highlight what seems to be an important oscillation between sensation and rationality in every creative process. I think that working along with the necessity to continuously re-propose new rational criteria or new ways to codify, in a world of continuous mutation, can be much more interesting and fruitful then simply trying to erase code in total fluidity, spontaneity or improvisation. But where do criteria come from, and what directions do they take?

Digital technology is the concrete application of a particular way to think, a tendency towards the cutting of reality in discrete numerical parts, and their re-arrangement into information chunks. In other words, it is the main example of extreme rationalization, and of an ‘intellectualization’ which has been very often associated with the scientific spatialization of time and of our movement experiences (reducing movement to a sum of steps, from A to B or from 1 to 2). In fact, I would like to suggest that, through the use of technology, numbers themselves start to reveal their openness and their capacity to generate experience. The apparent abstractness of this proposition finds its more concrete evidence in the tendency of many techno-choreographic works to respond to the new parameters dictated by the working of the computer, revealing what I define as an aesthetics of the ‘number’, an aesthetics directly influenced by the discrete
 functioning of the software. Examples of this aesthetics can be found in an increasing number of digital dance videos where the numerical montage of the dance into a sort of digital re-choreography replaces the more detailed attention for movement forms and qualities. Another example is constituted by Motion Captured performances and their presupposed aspiration to capture the fluid continuity of movement through cameras or sensors; instead of continuous motion, the ‘cuts’ of the technical apparatus seem to point towards a ‘divisibility’ with no end (who knows what microscopic level can be further reached in the digitalization?) ‘Divisibility’ appears thus like a particular quality directly related to the practical experience of movement and of the moving gesture. (It would be very interesting for me, Ashley, to relate these ideas to your experience with motion tracking.) One final example of this argument given by the Dance Forms software:
 all the possible (and impossible) variables of movement obtained through the software and its algorithmic operations are composed into choreographic scores and passed to human dancers in flesh and bones who perform them ‘live. New possibilities of choreographic production and bodily manipulation overcome the apparent aim of faithful imitation or capture of human movement: under a superficial level of realistic representation and resemblance, more interesting effects appear in the relation between the computer code and the dancing human body.

Looking forward to talk about these (and other) topics with all of you

Stamatia