[-empyre-] critical moving objects of a choreographic nature

NORAH ZUNIGA SHAW zuniga-shaw.1 at osu.edu
Thu May 14 20:11:47 EST 2009

Thanks Erin, this is beautiful and a nice addition to bill’s essay. And of course everyone CAN participate in a choreographic object in the form of Synchronous Objects in which a proliferation of models of potential transition from one state to another exist in the form of animations, interactive tools...online. Different than Bill's sculptural work of course.

Wading in now to talking directly about my work as it relates to this theme...we describe Sync/O as the flow from dance to data to objects (of course it is not as neat at that and is really more of sustained engagement with a choreographic resource--Forsythe's One Flat Thing, reproduced--that involves creative analytical thinking manifested in words, pictures, animations, graphs, code and so on and these manifestations move us into new critical thinking that then makes new pictures and words and...). This critical making process required a shifting web of relationships within a group of designers, dancers, and scientists to understand, investigate and create visual traces of the organizational structures that make up William Forsythe’s One Flat Thing, reproduced. The objects we made—animations, graphics, computer applications—are investigatory and exploratory. They are the stuff of collaboration, reflecting and embodying the intersecting and transformative disciplinary relationships we experienced making them. Our objects are not a substitute for the live stage performance of One Flat Thing, reproduced, but offer alternative sites for understanding Forsythe’s work and seeing its choreographic structures unfold. As he says, “Ideally, choreographic ideas in this form will draw an attentive diverse readership that will understand and champion the innumerable manifestations, old and new, of choreographic thinking in this dance.”

This brings me to Johannes’ question about readership. Bill’s statement above is really a question we have. Will choreographic ideas in this from draw an attentive diverse readership? Will our philosophical understanding of the multiplicity of manifestations sink in/activate/instigate/come through in what we’ve created? In our experience, viewing the dance this way has changed our perception of not only the dance but the world around us. In terms of choreographic readership we hope that our objects provide ways into noticing patterns in complex motion events (dances or otherwise), seeing the “analytical eye” as the “creative eye” and vice versa, and generating relationships that allow for agreement within a high degree of difference or what we call counterpoint.