[-empyre-] R: Agreement within difference

stamatia portanova stamatiaportanova at yahoo.it
Fri May 15 03:12:54 EST 2009

The notion of counterpoint is of course very much evocative of a performative relation between dance and music... By looking at the moving images on the site, a parallel with painting also immediately came to my mind. There are different painting 'styles', or 'genres', that, in order to briefly summarize, Gilles Deleuze (in his book on the work of Francis Bacon) describes: the first is more  'geometrical, conceptual, digital', the other is more 'organic, based on the emergence of sensations, analog', and the third is a more 'equilibrated' balance of the chaos of sensations, or their insertion into a geometric frame. These are of course to be considered only as tendencies, and not as polarizations, of painting, but can very well explain how a work can contain different aspects, while tending more towards one or the other... Strangely enough, Deleuze's use of the term 'diagram' does not refer to the clear ordering of geometric structure (as emerging for
 example in Mondrian's painting, that he defines as digital), but to the almost chaotic gestures of the hand, the disordered trace of the painting gesture, brought to its extreme by Pollock's art, where it becomes almost impossible to distinguish any 'intermittent or irregular coincidences between organizational elements that produce an order interplay'. In other words, shapes and directions becoming more intricately entangled, indiscernible, and not clearly distinguishable.
Considering these different sense of the term, I would be very interested if you could say something more about the 'diagram' in One Flat Thing...
thanks!stamatia