[-empyre-] the inadequate, the involuntary, the alternate...

Timothy Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Sat May 16 00:46:29 EST 2009

>Hey, Stelarc,

Thanks so much for your fascinating post (sorry
that -empyre- has no funds for subvention for
guests staying in hotels with pricey internet
connections!).

I'm fascinated by your emphasis on the body as
"something other-  the experience of the body as
inadequate,   involuntary and augmented. A body
immersed in uncertainty, anxiety and
ambivalence."  This does indeed suggest that
there's something exceptionally 'critical' in
your motion practice that engages  with what you
call "an age of circulating  flesh, fractal flesh
and phantom flesh."

Particularly critical, it seems to me, is your
performative intervention in networked (as
opposed to 'bare') life.  To revert to Ashley's
phrase, what does it mean when motion practice is
inscribed in the in-between, when it consists of,
reflects on the technological interfaces the
interfaces, the tracks, the pings that enable us
daily?

Also interesting is your suggestion that, within
the scope of the network, which encompasses both
the daily activities of -empyre- and the
technological interfaces of choreography,  "the
body becomes both a possessed and  performing
body, simultaneously actuated and improvising.
The body not as a single, intentional agency, but
as a host for an artificial entity."  This would
certainly entail what you call an "indifference,"
and, here, indifference would envelope
traditional attitudes of performance and
theatrical perspective that are organized around
the centrality of "the subject" as organizing
principle, not merely as interactive host.

I might have mentioned on -empyre- once before
that Jean-François Lyotard used to tell me that
indifference is the most effective form of
terrorism.  Here terror could involve a
choreographic intervention that foregrounds the
prominence of the unsettling prosthesis in an age
of otherwise willed alignment.

Perhaps what once served as the engine of
transubstantial transcendence or spiritual
alignment, "the host," now works as a provocative
trope of the state of the body as a prosthetic
motion-captured-being-in-the-world.

Thanks so much for joining in.

Tim

--