[-empyre-] the inadequate, the involuntary, the alternate...

Reggie Woolery reginald.woolery at ucr.edu
Sat May 16 04:21:02 EST 2009

Hey there. I¹m enjoying the twists and turns of the conversation and add
these three random and partial notes, which hopefully aren¹t too random:

1.

 ³There are two things I miss since losing my sight, soccer and driving.²
   Gerardo Nigenda, photographer, Mexico

For the exhibition SIGHT UNSEEN: INTERNATIONAL PHOTOGRAPHY BY BLIND ARTISTS
(www.artsblock.ucr.edu <http://www.artsblock.ucr.edu> ) currently at UC
Riverside California Museum of Photography artists who are blind have
developed a critical practice of image capture that requires the mediation
of prosthetic devices to amplify, extend, augment the deficient bodily sense
which is now slowed down. Not only do they employ technics to move and
navigate space, but also in the making of work. They learn to master lenses,
cameras, and scanners of various sizes and strengths as well as diverse
light sources: candles, lighters, flashlights, lasers, even black powder to
interpret and re-present what is.  Moreover, artists such as Pete Eckert
suggest that blindness is an advantage (compared to the daily bombardment
upon sight that the average person is submitted, thus rendering them blind)
does not get in the way of his seeing. Some of the artists in the show were
born blind, others loss their sight upon the advancement of AIDS, as well as
natural bodily aging and decay.

2.

My own work looks at the acoustic (bodily sense), digital (technics as
extensions), and virtual (faith or speculative devices and interfaces) as
discrete forms of narrative consciousness, that recombine and morph to
create and inflict upon us new ways of being and desiring.

3.
James Baldwin in Go Tell It on the Mountain suggests that we all, borrowing
from a Biblical parable, are just ³lambs to slaughter,² part of an eventual
and involuntary movement toward a brutal death that is immune to our
personal will, desire, or intent.

In the introduction to The Price of the Ticket, Baldwin talks about the
³mob² as a body that does another¹s bidding.  ³A mob is not autonomous: it
executes the real will of the people who rule the State. The slaughter in
Birmingham, Alabama, for example, was not merely, the action of a mob. That
blood is on the hands of the state of Alabama: which sent those mobs into
the streets to execute the will of the State.²

Reggie

Reginald Cortez Woolery
Artist, Director of Digital Studio
& Education Outreach
EMAIL: reginald.woolery at ucr.edu
MAIL: 3824 Main Street, Riverside, CA 92501
VOICE: 951.827.4796 | FAX: 951.827.4797
BLOG: www.i215radio.blogspot.com

UCR ARTSblock
http://www.artsblock.ucr.edu