[-empyre-] theory/practice and becoming-avatar

Norah Zuniga Shaw zuniga.11 at osu.edu
Thu May 21 22:51:36 EST 2009

On bringing Deleuze into the studio and collaboration as critical practice:

I've been thinking about this in response to stamatia's good questions about
our use of the word diagram and the deleuzian possibilities of this word.
For me, this is a good example of what Laura is describing as the theory in
the mix vs. systematic application. We enjoyed thinking about the nature of
a diagram within the critical process of iterative design and deleuzian
conceptions kept our creative options open and mobile (these conceptions
were inserted into our process by members of our interdisciplinary working
group from art history, philosophy, and architecture). But no where were we
applying theory systematically. Discourse, production, process ...
functioned together as critical making.

In this rubric of critical motion I'm trying to determine for myself if I
believe our objects to be the locus of critical motion, the animated objects
are theorizing on the choreographic motions. Or theorizing with the
choreographic motions? Not sure whether this is important or not.

And finally, Laura and Johannes bring us to thinking about collaboration as
critical practice and this is hugely important to me and to the kind of work
many of us do.