[-empyre-] grids, affect, (im)measurability and (in)visibility

Renate Ferro rtf9 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 16 02:26:58 EST 2009

the GRID as Zach describes it seems like a phenomenological system of
being....

> given that you are operating within an art context, I wonder how you
> are thinking your use of GRID in light of the modernist use of the
> grid, particularly in relation to krauss' deconstruction of the
> avant-garde vis a vis the grid?
>
> On Sat, Nov 14, 2009 at 4:56 PM, Zach Blas <zachblas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> following along the lines of my preview post on tactics of
>> nonexistence and the viral, i’d like to share Queer Technologies’
>> current work-in-progress called GRID. this project is a type of
>> diagramming that works with and against that which can be diagrammed
>> and that which cannot--in this instance, the diagrammed product and
>> unmappable. i saw a great talk last night by patricia clough at the
>> new school on affect, branding, immeasurability, incalculability, and
>> incomputability--it was amazing stuff! GRID, in a sense, is attempting
>> deal with these ideas and problems too.
>>
>> here’s a general explication:
>>
>> The design, fabrication, production, dissemination, and use of Queer
>> Technologies operates on / as a grid.
>>        Today, two grids can be identified that mutually form and
>> construct
>> the biosocialities of homosexuality:
>>        Importantly, these grids are not a static positioning structure
>> but
>> rather comprise an assemblage--unstable, in movement, of material.
>> They do not pin the homosexual by abstractness by actually constitute
>> it.
>>        Firstly, a history of viral contagion and disease interlocks with
>> and
>> generates conceptions, representations, and bodies of homosexuality.
>> G.R.I.D., or Gay-Related Immune Deficiency, the identifier given to
>> AIDS until 1982, is a locus of this infectious “rhetoric.” The term,
>> as words that explicitly order homosexuals into markers of sickness
>> from health, etymologically links homosexuality beyond its
>> all-too-real, continuing struggles with AIDS, to other modulating
>> constructions of “disease” and “sickness.”
>>        Secondly, contemporary grids of communication and capital virally
>> generate a dominant assemblage of the homosexual that is complicit
>> within flows of consumption and nationalism, a “sterility” of sorts.
>> As Jasbir Puar has suggested, homonationalism is the enfolding of
>> homosexuals into these machinations, visually projecting and
>> materially constructing a form of homosexuality as included within the
>> nation-state and mass culture, while simultaneously excluding
>> homosexuals who exist outside of these homonormative representations
>> and life formations.
>>        These two grids are collapsed into one another, interlocked in a
>> viral logic that frames the homosexual body from a diseased or
>> infected formation, while generating a dominant form of homosexuality
>> as anything but an other to heterosexuality and the nation.
>>        I would like to refer to this larger construction simply as GRID.
> [...]

Renate Ferro
Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of Art
Cornell University, Tjaden Hall
Ithaca, NY  14853

Email:   <rtf9 at cornell.edu>
Website:  http://www.renateferro.net

Co-moderator of _empyre soft skinned space
http://www.subtle.net/empyre
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empyre

Art Editor, diacritics
http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/dia/