[-empyre-] who can become imperceptible? and allo-viral visibilities.

Ricardo Dominguez rrdominguez at ucsd.edu
Tue Nov 17 01:48:23 EST 2009

Hola all,

Nice to be back and to share with all of you some viruses of the loving
kind, Zach and
I have had a bit of this conversation a while back. But, it is good to
restart it here. Also, last month lost of old friends were drifting by and
telling tales. I will try as we
To trace back and blink forward as we go along, and I hope that the
temporal cold wars to not keep me for responding to any of this weeks
chat.

Abrazos,
Ricardo

“Is the viral what can allow us to hack into this nonexistence?” – Zach Blas

While I appreciate the questions and some of the suggested practices that
can be developed around what Max Headroom (the old cyberpunk T.V. show
from the 80’s) stories use to call “blanks” – all those who chose to live
off-the-grid and yet were still connected via the networks of
“nonexistence” – one has to who has the privilege to
become “unaccounted for?” Who has access to viral economies to deep hack
the broad context of political (network)(economie(s). Economic relations
involving debt, dependency and external determination of economic policies
set the wider framework within which the “expendability ” of lives is
determined. Social divisions and conflicts along of gender, generation,
class and race are constantly marking the wave patterns of vulnerability
for all those of-the-grid. This not to say that all networked
gestures/stories (to reflect on last month theme) have to reside under the
signs of the “transparent” and the singular tale (“No End In Sight:
Networked Art as a Participatory Form of Storytelling” -
http://deseriis.networkedbook.org/no-end-in-sight-networked-art-as-a-participatory-form-of-storytelling/”)
- that complexity and translucency (the almost opaque gesture – as poet
Amy Sara Carroll has taught me) cannot be of used in developing new forms
of swarm(ate)s – as was the case with above essay in terms of the Toy War.
But, I would venture to say that they are only “affective gesture” that
are “effective” for me work - if they are (dis)located in the visibilities
of the unseen. What the viral economies offer is the possibility of “minor
simulations” to trace out what is being blocked-out of sight and at the
same time made too visible as “allo-viruses.”

For instance, just a few days ago (November 12th, 2009) a story appeared
in VICE magazine: FOLLOW THE GPS, ÉSE: THE TRANSBORDER IMMIGRANT TOOL
HELPS MEXICANS CROSS OVER SAFELY
http://www.viceland.com/int/v16n11/htdocs/follow-the-gps-225.php

that was then quickly picked up by boing boing:

http://www.boingboing.net/2009/11/13/transborder-immigran.html

and now the viral pings not only tell the tale of the tool (which most of
this list has
heard about now quiet a lot for a while) – but, have setup a staging event
for Web 2.0 (as public culture) to respond to the multiple fears of
“allo-viruses”: