[-empyre-] grids, affect, (im)measurability and (in)visibility

davin heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 02:47:40 EST 2009

1) This is a bit of a digression, but a couple months back I was
listening to a Radiolab segment on "innate numbers"
<http://www.wnyc.org/shows/radiolab/episodes/2009/10/09/segments/137633>.
 On the segment, they referenced a study done by a research named
Karen Wynn  <http://pantheon.yale.edu/~kw77/McCrink&WynnPsychScience2007.pdf>
who was able to demonstrate that infants can grasp ratios.  The
program goes on to speculate about how and when people learn to move
from a notion of quantity that seems (to me, anyway) rooted in
difference versus one that is based on counting.  The upshot of the
segment was that at some point, children decide to abandon their
innate understanding of numbers and accept one that is cultural.

In a way, this seems to me to suggest the way that grids tend to
function.  They are imposed (but also acquiesced to) under the promise
of some utility.  The "grid" then, is not simply a social imposition,
but it really ought best fall under the category of technics, and as
such is open for competition.

2)  Another digression, but for a current research project I have been
reading a fair amount of conspiracy theory, from across the range of
the political spectrum.  And the most "successful" conspiracy theories
tend to function in the way that, if I understand your discussion, a
queer grid might function (although, instead of basing your theories
on things like Obama's birth certificate, you'd be looking at
demonstrable instances of inequality).  The successful conspiracy
theory creates a narrative for daily life that begins with an
alternative system of signification whose parts function
grammatically.  (For instance, someone can look at a dollar bill, a
map of Washington DC, and read a little bit on Masonic ritual....  and
suddenly they can find themselves "decoding" reality.  Once they enjoy
success with this initial experiment, the next step is to seek out
additional signs and see if they can be understood within the
alternative narrative.)  Perhaps the greatest example of such an
alternative "grid" might even be on the extreme opposite end....
homophobic conspiracism, the kind of virulent "speculation" which sees
homosexuality as conspiratorial, even supernaturally so (causing
hurricanes and corrupting children's television).  I would want to
compare your intentions to these people.  But given the metaphors that
you are using....  infections, viruses, etc....  it might seem that it
might be beneficial to look at these grids, how they are built, how
they function (and, of course, how you might engage with them).

Peace!

Davin Heckman