[-empyre-] more on the grid or the folds of hactivism

Timothy Murray tcm1 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 18 04:42:56 EST 2009

Hi, everyone.  Thanks ever so much for such a stimulating
conversation over the past couple of weeks.  I'm fascinated by this
thread on the grid because it very much represents the tension and
ambiguity that Renate and I had hoped would arise in discussing viral
economies and 'hactivism.'

I've often thought of the distinctions between gridding and
un-gridding or what's been called this week subjection (existence in
the grid of sovereignty) and non-existence  as running parallel to
the contrasting technologies of perspective and the fold.  As I've
mentioned before on the list, in my recent book, Digital Book, I
reflect on the paradox of the digital condition that relies on the
hegemony of the grid (via its nefarious legacy, from the politics of
single-point perspective to the modernist numbings of the grid, to
the surveillances of GPS and RFID) and the possibility that inherent
to this same system is the alternative "traumatophilia" of the fold,
anamorphosis, the in-between, the wired that permits for the kind of
performative subversion recommended by Zach and Ricardo.

Indeed, when Renate and I first introduced the parameters of this
month in our presentation at Exit Art for the Institute for Aesthetic
Research (thanks Dan and Dave), we featured the work of both Ricardo
and Brooke as means of Re-Designing the commodity laden designerly
grid.

So it's wonderful t follow this conversation that has enfolded the
political hactivism of Zach and Ricardo into the ambivalent skin of
the grid, which serves as both the ground of design and the network
of its hactivism.

tim

--
Timothy Murray