[-empyre-] The Necrosocial and UCLA Students Mased in the Face as UC Regents Run!

Ricardo Dominguez rrdominguez at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 21 06:42:27 EST 2009

Hola all,

The Necrosocial and UCLA Students Mased in the Face as UC Regents Run!

http://savingucsd.ning.com/profiles/blogs/the-necrosocial-and-ucla

abrazo,
Ricardo

> Dear empyre,
>
> I just received a pix from Ashley Ferro-Murray at the University of
> Berkeley. Those of you on empyre will recall that she was a guest during
> our discussion on Critical Movement Practice.  She is in the streets right
> now with many other graduate students, staff,  and faculty from her
> department as well as many others in the humanities, rhetoric, film.  Her
> department of Performance Studies has been supporting other students and
> staff who also went on strike a few weeks ago.
>
> The image reveals fully geared security who appear armed.  She reports
> that some students are taking over a building as I write this and one
> student was accosted and beaten by one of the security team.
>
> The "factory" model of their political action has been generated by viral
> organization and communication that makes their efforts  engaging,
> contagious, and efficient.
>
> How ironic as I sit here at my computer thinking about a new design
> rampage that seems to be brewing rampantly in the visual arts here in NY
> within the art world and our world at the university.  Generated  and I
> think influenced from digital technology and design initiatives, this
> shift appears to me at least to be void of models that engage politics and
> the economic crisis. It is the space that is situated between political
> and social action, viral communication, and design spectacle  that
> prompted our discussion this month on empyre.
>
> Wishing I could be on the West side of the country right now. But I'm
> thankful for email, pix messages, and facebook which places me virtually
> there for now.
>
> In solidarity,
> Renate
>

>> Hi Micha,
>>
>> yes, thank you for sharing those precious links.
>>
>>> At UCSD, very few students, faculty and staff that I've talked to knew
>>> about or support the strike do. Myself and a handful of other faculty,
>>> staff and students are striking, but is the very idea of a strike not
>>> viral but more based in monolothic constituencies and factory models
>>> of labor?
>> No, I just think that after 3-4 decades of resting on dreams of unabated
>> growth Americans (and Californians in particular) need to be re-educated
>> and reawakened as to what it means to lose one's job, as to what it
>> means to fight for it, and what it means to risk of losing your job for
>> defending it. So thank you for taking on this rather humongous task ;-)
>>
>> To me it is not a matter of virality but of culture. People in Latin
>> America, Asia, Europe and all over the world keep going on strike for
>> defending their jobs, demanding higher wages, security on the workplace,
>> etc. It is only in this country that three decades of brainwashing have
>> led to the obliteration of historic memory (the cancellation of May1st
>> being the most notable example), and to the perception that going on
>> strike is somehow out of fashion.

> [...]

Ricardo Dominguez
Associate Professor
Hellman Fellow

Visual Arts Department, UCSD
http://visarts.ucsd.edu/
Principal Investigator, CALIT2
http://calit2.net
Co-Chair gallery at calit2
http://gallery.calit2.net
CRCA Researcher
http://crca.ucsd.edu/
Ethnic Studies Affiliate
http://www.ethnicstudies.ucsd.edu/
Center for Iberian and Latin American Studies Affiliate
http://cilas.ucsd.edu

Hemispheric Institute of Performance and Politics,
Board Member
http://hemi.nyu.edu

University of California, San Diego,
9500 Gilman Drive Drive,