[-empyre-] networked_art

Helen Thorington newradio at turbulence.org
Fri Oct 2 01:56:19 EST 2009

Hello all and thanks Anna for your introduction:

Jo is teaching this morning and Eduardo Navas is in Mexico at the
opening of an exhibition he helped curate (Transistio_MX). Both will
be with us soon. In the meantime I thought I’d start with a few words
about my interest in  networked a (networked_book) about (networked
art).

What may be too obvious for words is how important it has been to my
13 years of producing Turbulence.org to understand how the Internet’s
maturation and transformation has been intertwined with the
transformation of creative practice.

For me the idea of developing and publishing an online, trans-
disciplinary book that would address recent artistic developments came
at an appropriate time. Web 2.0, and the proliferation of sites such
as MySpace, Flickr and You Tube, where users can generate content
which can be shared by others, had been with us for some time;
something new was happening. This feeling was for me like the empyre
lurker I have often been, there but mute.

But while I was not able to put my finger on what it was, Anna Munster
did, with her observation in the chapter Data Undermining that the
aesthetics of digital networks have shifted in accordance with the
increasing invisibility of the 'structures' of code, online protocols,
etc., and by citing artists who “make visible the real technical and
social relations that comprise the production of data in networked
culture.”  I don’t want to discuss Anna’s work here; discussion will
take place with the authors as the month goes on. I simply want to
mention something that was important to me about the networked book:
that I learn from these writers and through them come to have at least
one finger solidly on the pulse of aesthetic interests on the Internet
today.

But, as Mizuko Ito says in her excellent introduction to “Networked
Publics”, the problem, for those of us struggling to understand the
transformations taking place, is that they -- the transformations --
are impossible to understand at the time they take place.

Which brings me to a second and less personal interest in helping
initiate networked: the need for “other” histories. The ones familiar
to us were written yesterday; they are few, and the points of view
expressed in them and the “artists” included by their writers, are
limited and informed by their own special interests, as any one
person’s perspective always is. Today there are more media theorists;
they understand more; we need their perspectives; we need new
histories, multiple interpretations. And we need them – not a year
from now when today’s views might appear in hard cover already well
worn, but online, where every interested person can see and respond to
them today. Networked fills some part of this need.

My final comment is about things that have not happened yet. Here I am
indebted to Bob Stein and thefutureofthebook.org   See:
http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/archives/2008/09/a_unified_field_theory_of_publ_1.html
  ; and
http://www.futureofthebook.org/blog/archives/2009/09/a_clean_well-lighted_place_for.html

When the act of reading moves from the printed page to an online space
designed for social interaction – as networked is -- content gets
redefined to include the comments and conversation the text engenders.

This means: 1) that the writer commits herself to engage not just with
her subject matter or with her professional colleagues as she has done
in the past, but with her readers. She must know who they are and she
must help facilitate a meaningful conversation.

Or, in Stein’s words, the author is “a leader of a group effort,
similar in many respects to the role of a professor in a seminar. The
professor has presumably set the topic and likely knows more about it
than the other participants, but her role is to lead the group in a
combined effort to synthesize and extend knowledge.”

2) that successful publishers instead of focusing on the book as
object –   as was noted in the New York Times this morning, the book
has been a “coherent string of connected words, printed on paper and
bound between covers” for over 500 years now – must try to build a
community of interest online, often “with authors at the center, but
not necessarily always”

Networked is open for development in both areas.

Two new chapters have just been added to the original five. Varnelis’
“The Immediated Now” is in the process of being translated into
Chinese. If you haven’t visited the site, please do, and let us know
what you think, either there or here.