[-empyre-] An "other" view of writing

Yvonne Martinsson yvonne at freewheelin.nu
Fri Oct 9 09:56:54 EST 2009

Hi Anna,

The reason I responded to the discussion was mainly that I thought it
was sidetracked by whether to choose a wiki or a blog for the
networked book. I find it more interesting to read the contributors
response to what a networked book is and how they relate to
collaborating on writing a text that is not encyclopaedic and factual
but rather an ongoing thought, a theory in progress and so on.
Networked  collaboration is, I'd say, another Web 2.0 hype which is
why it's interesting to read real responses. The question is if it,
in the final analysis, turns culture into a concensual homogeneity
where the voices of the other cannot be heard.

Same goes for templating and customization of web pages and, as you
say, software shapes culture which is precisely why we have to have
take a critical stance and not accept uncritical assumptions that
turn into concensus that turns into truths. Who determines the shapes
culture takes? We, that is the users, or the software engineers?
Isn't it one of the great illusions of the internet that a bit of
customization of templates contributes to cultural diversity and
heterogeneity while we actually all learn to speak in one voice. As
form is content, one could even claim that Mr Themes is our most
prolific author.

I have today implemented my first Wordpress install and it's a
strange feeling being so at the mercy of a templating system. I apply
a ready-made form that steeps us all into the same mould. There is
not much room for creativity and hence for development, but it's we
who should develop the internet and the shape writing and other
cultural expressions take. Hence the software we choose matters,
unless we want to reinvent the wheel and start from scratch by
developing our own blog for instance.

These two issues, how people respond to networked collaboration and
how software not only shapes culture but also our thinking and modes
of expression, are somehow interrelated. Are we moving towards
heterogenous cultures of different voices or are we shaped into
becoming one global homogenous mass? And, where is our responsibility?

Best
Yvonne