[-empyre-] theory v. history

mez breeze netwurker at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 18:30:26 EST 2009

hi h-w, all.

On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 1:40 PM, h w <misterwarwick at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Because the interweb thingie (calling it the web or the internet or online
> media, or whatever seems so limiting, that I tend to call it different
> things that are self-deprecatory, like interweb thingie, or The Intertubes,
> etc.) is changing so quickly, there is a dramatic failure occuring, in that
> it is impossible to properly (in terms of standard academia) theorise about
> it, due to the slow motion exigencies of academic process.

just thought i'd quickly chime in here: b-ing - as i am - 1 of the
in-progress-authors who is contributing to the *_Networked_*[book] project
under discussion. i do agree with h-w on this point of academic/publishing
lag + have previously outlined emergent systems that currently act as
replacments 4 such standarised publishing models:

"*Information Deformation:* akin to process centering, this Social
Tesseraction involves a shift in the very definition of *information*:

*Information may be defined as the characteristics of the output of a
process, these being informative about the process and the input. This
discipline independent definition may be applied to all domains, from
physics to epistemology.”*
 <http://ils.unc.edu/%7Elosee/b5/book5.html>

These deformed systems of data are constantly in flux and available for
perpetual revision. Examples include:

    * cloud-based applications
    * constantly transliterated google waves.

Users are able to simultaneously modify, update and adapt their input in
real time...This type of liminal practice results in a deformation of
current information architectures. Although traditional information
construction may be flexible over time, it still demands unitary data
snapshots for knowledge formation. Deforming such data in real time acts to
fundamentally alter meaning production. Socially structured input is the
keystone of such a dynamic, perpetually fluctuating system.

Here the notion of Social Froth takes on a new level of importance:
information becomes a constantly shifting construct with variable
endpoints.  Rewiring information in such a way radically changes its
cohesive nature. This in turn effects:

    * authorship
    * politics
    * communication and media
    * education
    * book publishing and academia [think: the perpetuation of potentially
obsolete content systems]
    * the scientific method
    * disciplines dependent on referential instruction [think: History or
Commerce].

In this deformation system, facts can be reality-edited in real time.

Information becomes pliable in ways that challenge the perceived authority
of institutions. The concept of narrative deforms as:

    * lifestreaming transmogrifies entertainment
    * game platforms employ transmedia, simulation and agency.

Narrative progression repositions the representational towards the freeform
[think: paidia as opposed to ludic]...."
*From: _Social Tesseracting_: Part
3<http://arsvirtuafoundation.org/research/2009/07/24/_social-tesseracting_-part-3/>
*

...these ideas r also x-panded in the chpt i'm currently constructing 4 *
_Networked_*. without x-tensively preempting the upcoming chpt content
[which details my augmentology project + synthetic/augmented reality
patterns] i will mention that the augmentology project deliberately attempts
2 circumvent basic publishing conventions [including standard
referencing/precedential prefacing].

chunks,
][mez][

--