[-empyre-] introducing Jason Freeman and Patrick Lichty

Kazys Varnelis kazys at varnelis.net
Tue Oct 20 23:30:14 EST 2009

Jason makes an important point. I am sure that there are good excuses
for the world of walled gardens that makes up contemporary academic
publishing, but it exacerbates existing inequalities.

Small schools, such as art or architecture institutes and those in
developing countries, generally can't afford subscriptions to Jstor or
the New Left Review. Meanwhile, large schools offer greater access to
journals than ever before. I am now privileged to be in one of the
latter after a decade at one of the former and the impact on my
scholarship is huge. On the other hand, blogs, networked books, and
sites by authors who post their own work, are frequently used by
faculty in excluded universities.

This is, simply enough, a crime against the development of thought.

Kazys