[-empyre-] transdisciplinarity and transnetworks

nicholas knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Thu Apr 15 02:30:31 EST 2010

christopher sullivan wrote:
>       Tactical Media, does raise question for me in terms of how deeply ones
> students should be involved in faculty work, political or otherwise. Don't know
> where I stand, but it is often problematic to me. My best wishes for everyone
> who is in legal danger from this situation. Chris.

This cuts many ways, however.  In my program, Information Science,
students are encouraged by their advisors to work for companies like
Google, Microsoft, Yahoo, Facebook, and others.  They're encouraged to
work with datasets from these companies that require them to sign
non-disclosure agreements.  They're encouraged to develop iPhone
applications that they are then encouraged to develop into startups.

And up the street, on the Engineering quad, students are encouraged to
work on DARPA challenges, to work with professors involved in DoD
cyber-security initiatives, to take all manner of Defense Department
monies without question...it's just money, right?

While I think Christopher raises an interesting point, which is what is
the nature of the pedagogical relationship that would make the
involvement of students consensual and not based on the pre-existing
power relationship between professor and student (and understanding the
fluidity of those distinctions), I think the coercive (in terms of
personal and structural factors) elements within engineering culture in
general are much more heinous.

nick