[-empyre-] empyre Digest, Vol 62, Issue 8

davin heckman davinheckman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 07:49:46 EST 2010

John, apologies for the generalization.  I didn't mean to refer to your
ability to figure out what was right and wrong...only lamenting what I see
as a deficiency in the public sphere where I live (the United States).  And,
I have to admit that my ability to act and think of justice is severely
hampered by my own complicity in the system (I know I paid too little and
ate too much for lunch, for instance).

Sure, there are plenty of people who are basically dependent on the
political apparatuses' collective ability to care....  and I would say these
people tend to be aware of the overall lack of justice (although, there are
entire regions of the US where the tendency is to respond to injustice with
feelings of enmity....  "If only the illegals weren't here!  We'd all have
good jobs!").  And, in fact, many of the things which should be basic
assumptions (access to health care, living wages, education, housing...  and
on top of this, honesty, trust, mutuality) are "luxuries" (as Christina
pointed out)...  but the fact that such basic necessities are considered
"excessive" speaks to the grave injustice that we live under.

Until I see the overal injustice in the world corrected by
popular engagement and action....  I will continue to doubt in the ability
of American society to begin to think about right and wrong.

Take care.

Davin