[-empyre-] art and ethics

Gerry Coulter gcoulter at ubishops.ca
Mon Jan 25 20:32:31 EST 2010

I appreciate your post and would make a link to the chatter we endured about the US Supreme court's latest decision...

It doesnt matter which rich people choose which pack of lawyers to run government as it does not matter (Bush the Son is a good example) who leads a country. Look at the pack of idiots who have been President of France for the past 50 years. Nations thrive DESPITE politicians not because of them.

It is rather the same for art is it not? Art thrives not because of the art world or public or private institutions but in spite of them.

And art, like politics, is today, the recipient of mass inidfference. Pretty soon about the same number of people who attend one art show per year will be the equivalent of those who vote. The numbers are not so far apart right now.

Maybe, I hope, in fifty years, we'll hold a major election in a Western country and only the politicians, their friends and families will turn out to vote. Or perhaps a blockbuster with no lines...

best

Gerry