[-empyre-] art and ethics - incommensurable

simon swht at clear.net.nz
Tue Jan 26 08:59:24 EST 2010

Dear Nick and Empyreans,

Actors - as those who engage in actions - may be complicit in situations
- whether common labour disputes or not - which both work to their
disadvantage and give the lie to the principles under which they become
complicit. This may be a variation on the 'best of intentions' trope but
is also open to a critique that finds in art a higher dialectic
unavailable to in-corporation, legalistic definition or naturalization
as accomplice of life, law and - of course - art itself: the whole
identitarian brouhaha which seems to draw its life-blood from
positivism. This critique, despite the theatrical appeal of Badiou's
discourse - upstage stentorian, echoing in the flies - is one of which
his procedurals would seem a demonstration: art and love, politics and
science, have their generic truths. The incommensurability existing
between them - as in the dramatic example of Archimedes and Marcellus's
emissary, where the time of the artist does not relate to the time of
political expediency (a non-relation I would adduce as inherent in the
situation of complicity I described in theatre) - produces a distance
philosophy is called on to negotiate, in which it can create the
problems proper to it. Complicity is problematic because it arises
between generic universals. I think it is reducible to the Law only in
so far as the Law is regarded as irreducible. And inescapable.

Best,
Simon

www.brazilcoffee.co.nz
www.squarewhiteworld.com