[-empyre-] Book Piracy and Alienated Labour

Nicholas Knouf nak44 at cornell.edu
Fri Jun 4 15:19:46 EST 2010

If we're going to talk about alienated labour within this space, then we
need to see the issue beyond books; the problem is more acute when we
add journals to the mix.  I am working on a project that will launch
later this month that, in part, examines the exorbitant pricing of too
many academic journals.  Journals that cost libraries thousands of
dollars per year each; money that goes directly to for-profit
corporations and not to the authors, reviewers, editors, etc., who work
_for free_.  Authors are required to sign over copyright to their own
labor, sometimes needing to choose which journal to publish in based on
numerics such as the "impact factor", a number that is itself
copyrighted information and can't be redistributed!  Open access
journals are thankfully changing the landscape, yet there are still
millions of pages that are locked behind restrictive paywalls (with
per-article, "pay-per-view" rates upwards of $30 or more, as much or
more than than complete books!).  With the growing consolidation of the
journal publishing landscape (and with corporations such as Elsevier,
John Wiley & Sons, Taylor & Francis, Sage, and Springer each owning
_thousands_ of journals each) the situation of for-profit journals only
seems to be getting worse.  Projects like aaaarg, as well as the
development of sustainable, open/free/libre access publishing platforms
(such as OJS), are necessary to provide a real counterweight to the
behemoths of the academic publishing industry.

More later in the month when the project launches...

nick