[-empyre-] Book Piracy and Alienated Labour

Sean Dockray sean.patrick.dockray at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 10:55:24 EST 2010

If it helps, Emmett, I also have mixed and contradictory feelings
about the practice.

I know I've been playing too much chess recently - I'm imagining how
discussions over "book piracy" seem to open up along fairly common
lines: e4 - why are there restrictions on the movement of texts when
it is technically possible to overcome geographic, political, or
economic limitations? c5 - authors and publishers have put in real
labor and deserve monetary compensation in return.

The variations that might come out of this position? Attempts to prove
that piracy actually helps book sales as opposed to reducing them.
Arguments to settle for symbolic capital or other forms of
valorization that can be "cashed in" elsewhere. Assurances that if
piracy just went away the market would make sure that all those
limitations were overcome. Proposals for micro-payments, creative
commons, and other reforms. (This is obviously not the route chosen by
Macmillan, who made news last year for "standing up to" Amazon over
lower prices for digital books). Less common lines might be that
piracy amounts to a strange form of unpaid marketing; that when it
comes to art and theory, reading and writing doesn't break down so
cleanly along the lines of consumption and production, or leisure and
labor.

Emmett's argument about alienated labor resonates with me at this
moment in particular because I have had to wait until finishing my
full-time day job (which is the equivalent of writing ad copy) each
day to participate in this week's discussion! I'm assuming some in
this discussion have a university job based in these issues, or are
teaching a class on them, or are writing on the topics? Some are in
the position to translate the knowledge or symbolic value from
discussions on this list into real income. I'm conflicted when tenured
faculty use AAAARG to make a reader for their classes, to save
themselves time. I completely agree with the calls to think about the
unaffiliated, selfishly I suppose, because that's my camp!

[ One thing that I'm wondering is, should these discussions be based
on the assumption that each download represents quantifiable lost
income for publisher and author? Obviously this has legal precedent,
where people end up "owing" a few million dollars because of the music
they downloaded. But the zero-sum logic of it all frames the
discussion in a certain way. The actual economics of publishing are a
mystery to me and it isn't public, so I'm left with speculation (watch
out!) based on anecdotal data. I spend roughly the same amount on
books and art as what I make on sales, fees, and rentals  (OK, I'm
flattering myself a little bit here). Is this common? Is it the same
thousand dollars passing through all of our hands? ]

How might we pose our mixed feelings in a way that isn't point-
counterpoint, but something less identifiable; or even how do we try
and imagine possibilities beyond the capitalist framework, something
that's not just turning the price dial down on a product until it hits
the level where people start using their credit card again?

Jumping over to Michael Dieter's post, which says that file-sharing,
like gentrification, produces value that ends up in the pockets of
those few who own the networks or buildings or whatever, I'd agree
that Free Culture is not the road map or destination point or anything
(and so I haven't argued for that anywhere). Looking at the
specificity of AAAARG, which is composed of people who are generally
cognitive workers themselves, reading and referencing as a part of
their practice, I see a space of confrontation over the very materials
with which we produce; many of the authors on AAAARG are also
registered and several of them have expressed extraordinarily nuanced,
ambivalent, and internally conflicted positions: Paul Gilroy, Jason
Read, and Stuart Elden for example, on the site or on other networks.
Publishers (doing their job) surreptitiously register and send cease
and desist letters about Marxist and anti-copyright texts. And of
course the people who use the site think quite concretely about the
nature of the site (what belongs?) and tactics for the project.

What I'm getting at is that it's not my place to assign a politics to
AAAARG, that comes out of its use and out of the responses or activity
it provokes, its life as a public space. Nevertheless, I personally
see it aligned with the occupation movement, as something which is
actively trying to produce conditions for critical thought, which
itself is being downsized and subject to inane requirements to justify
itself through results. Although I will fully support reform demands
that come up here (for wage increases, better health insurance,
favorable copyright laws, etc.) I feel most invested and interested in
autonomous spaces and forms (things like Virno's "defection modifies
the condition within which the struggle takes place, rather than
presupposing those conditions to be an unalterable horizon" or
Tiqqun's "The Party is a collection of places, infrastructures,
communised means; and the dreams, bodies, murmurs, thoughts, desires
that circulate among those places, the *use* of those means, the
sharing of those infrastructures.")

Back to P2P (actually in an effort to break free of the IP
discussion).. as Pasquinelli writes of the parasite on (between) P2P
culture (the owners of the network who take money for that very "free"
activity), we can always be looking at who is profiting from free
labor and Free ideology that sustains it. My mind jumps to things like
access to libraries (my UC Library card was taken away when I stopped
teaching) or access to JSTOR (also removed at the same time) or
conferences, festivals, and the like. Those knowledge networks that
academics take for granted, but the boundaries of which are most
apparent to the precarious laborers (grad students, lecturers,
adjuncts who regularly cross in and out of the institution, gaining
and losing "privileges" each time), rely on valorization as
compensation for virtually free labor, while education remains a
profitable industry for some.

Finally, on this idea of "sustainability" that has been brought up
directly or indirectly in several posts... it seems like Michael is
asking for a response about the act of writing in general: why invest
our energies in autonomous projects if in the end, it isn't
sustainable (they won't sustain the people who write with a living
wage)? Of course, capitalism isn't sustainable either, but I think his
point is that AAAARG is more of a symptom of capitalism than a
response to it. Maybe this comes down to whether you think the system
generates the crisis within capitalism or if we do. Either way, I'm
not going to make an argument for file-sharing paying writers enough
to pay their landlord, their insurance company, their kid's daycare,
their student loans, their credit card, and so on! AAAARG is
definitely not the solution to that. It is contingent, happening now,
part of a movement, something that I wouldn't want to collapse or
simply be recuperated. A different kind of sustainability we might be
talking about.

A little later in the Tiqqun text the lived practice of communism is
described as "the formation of sensibility as a force" and "the
deployment of an archipelago of worlds." This compared to iTunes for
books or Creative Commons... a different game entirely...