[-empyre-] Narrativity and Reading Regimes

Michael Dieter mdieter at unimelb.edu.au
Fri Jun 11 14:42:56 EST 2010

> As a literary critic, I highly value immersive reading and desire it to
> continue. I suspect, however, that the enemy here is not the internet, but
> rather the neo-liberal economic rationalism that results in
> ever-increasing
> work hours, and diminishes the free time required for people to engage in
> sustained reading practices.

Great post!

I wonder whether there might be something more to add from a media
specific perspective also: the devices associated and deliberately
engineered for informational 'hypertext' scanning are increasingly
imbricated throughout our everyday lives as constant companions.
Neoliberal economic rationalism cannot itself be sustained without
rallying a material infrastructure in support of the logic of increasing
work hours, competition and value-added knowledge work. The blurring of
work and leisure that underpins attempts to increase productivity is
actually facilitated by mobile networked devices, such as the iPad. I fear
is that the problem is additionally encoded into these technical objects
themselves, things that are privileged as central to these economic
systems and regimes of labour.

> --
> Emmett Stinson
> Lecturer, Publishing and Communications